Right power window motor on a 64 avanti

steve remick

Replacement motors run about $200...if that's the actual problem. The track could be kinked, or the mechanism needs lubricating. Don't condemn the motor right away. After all these years the factory lubricants could be dried up or hardened.

My right side (passenger side) power window can be inconsistent. It goes down with no problems, but coming back up it needs help.

How much would a replacement motor cost or any suggestions?

Thanks

Look into adding a second spring and rewiring the switches and motors to run via relays. You will not be disappointed with these two changes.These suggestions are in addition to those from Gunslinger. If it were me, I'd start by pulling the entire regulator , motor etc., out of the door and starting over.

John

Look into adding a second spring and rewiring the switches and motors to run via relays. You will not be disappointed with these two changes.These suggestions are in addition to those from Gunslinger. If it were me, I'd start by pulling the entire regulator , motor etc., out of the door and starting over.

John

Sounds like a project far beyond my expertise and wallet. Maybe I will take Gunslingers path

Thanks for your input.

Sounds like a project far beyond my expertise and wallet. Maybe I will take Gunslingers path

Thanks for your input.

I can't imagine attempting to do what Gunslinger suggested with all of the mechanism in the door.

• 3 weeks later...

First I would take WD 40 and spray it down the window. If that helps great. I doubt that it will. Depending upon the condition the entire mechanism might need a rebuilding.but I doubt the problem is the motor unless you keep overworking it and burn it up.

Next take the door panel off and check the various bolts that hold everything together. As has been said in previous posts the fiberglass door panel cracks. Other then a screw driver all you need is the tool to remove the door handle clip. And disconnect the Battery first as you have to disconnect the wires going to the window switch.
I have also found is; when the bolts come loose as the window operates they move and in large the hole in the fiber glass. What I have used in the past to patch the elongated holes is to use what is called a fender washer. ( a very large thin washer.) Place one or two under the bolt and tighten securely. The washer deforms and tightens on to the fiberglass. The original bolts have star washers that helps chew the fiberglass when they become loose.

The adjustment of the various mounting points is critical for the correct operation of the window.

Good Luck

Ron