I heard a new one last night...

adamderosa

So I'm at a cruise night last night, and this guy and gal are checking out my Avanti II.

"Nice car"

"Thanks" I said. "Do you have any questions about it"

"yeah" says the guy. "Is this a real one?"

"They're all real" I said with a laugh.

"No, I mean is this a kit one that's built on a Volkswagen chassis?" he says.

"Umm, there never was a Kit Avanti; they were all factory produced. And if had been a kit it certainly wouldn't work well on a Volkswagen chassis with a V8 engine in the front" I said.

"No you're wrong" the guy says. "My Uncle has one in his garage".

"Have him bring out next month" I told the guy as he walked away.

I have no idea what kit car he had it confused with .

there is an overabundance of stupid. You just me the president of " I AM STUPID"

I am constantly debunking the the misinformed at car shows : NO never built in Canada. After several years of attending I have heard some of the audience tell others the corrected versions of many misconceptions about the Avanti. Lou Cote

• 2 weeks later...

RQB3263 1981 AVANTI II...HERE in Florida i too am sometimes confronted with this ignorance...Ill add to the "Canada", "kit car", BS......does it have a Ford engine?...obviously confusing a 289 Ford with a 289 Studebaker....whats really fun is when they want to argue....well like the comedian says, "you cant fix stupid".....BILL RQB3263....ADIOS to all our Canadian Ford powered kit car builders ....keep up the good work......

• 2 weeks later...

So, I am at the local Friday evening car show in the downtown area. As usual I have the only Avanti there. Many people stop by and ask Avanti questions mainly because they have no idea about Studebaker Avantis. Up walks 3 Catholic Nuns. They were in their full habits and looking at cars. I was puzzled why they were there but they were having a good time. 2 of the Nuns were standing on the passenger side and the other Sister was standing on the drivers side of the car. They were all puzzled about the Avanti. One Sister leans over and asked her companion " who makes this car "? The other Nun looks down to badge on the fender and says in a authoritarian voice " Supercharger" Company!