Removing the Center Console

Jim 63R3984

Hello,

I need to remove the center console on our 63 R1 with A/T. I have never had the interior apart before and was wondering if someone that has could shed some light on the remove process?

I haven't been able to shift down into 1st. While lying underneath the car and having someone up above shifting through the P DNR21 I discovered that one of the two spot welds on the shifter bracket is broke free. I feel this is why I am unable to get 1st. If I push up on the bracket to imitate a good spot weld where its broke I can almost get the selector into 1st.

So long story short I need to remove that bracket and in order to do so I have to get the center padded interior console out.

Thank You

Jim

Jim..........this is not difficult. Remove the four screws that hold the upholstered piece in place. Once removed the rest is straight forward. I'd caution you to take care when unscrewing the chrome ball on the gearshift, as there is a spring below the black button.A parts book is your best friend as you approach these things. Get one if you don't have one.

Hope this helps

John

Thanks John,

I have the shop manual but couldn't find my answer in there. After I posted this I went out and still could see how this would come off? There were no visible screws. So I grabbed both sides and it lifted right off. LOL. It was a easy and fast removal of the shifter. I will reweld the the bracket and hope this will allow me to get my 1st back again. I will post if this turns out to be the issue.

Thanks

Jim

Thanks John,

I have the shop manual but couldn't find my answer in there. After I posted this I went out and still could see how this would come off? There were no visible screws. So I grabbed both sides and it lifted right off. LOL. It was a easy and fast removal of the shifter. I will reweld the the bracket and hope this will allow me to get my 1st back again. I will post if this turns out to be the issue.

Thanks

Jim

As I recall, the 4 screws are located in the corners of the vertical sides, and required that I push the seat bottom cushion down so as to get a phillips head screw driver on the screw head. With the piece removed, look for the original screw holes in both the piece you removed and the console body that is attached to the tunnel.

John