Avanti at MCACN

lschuc

From last weekend's Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals in Rosemont, Illinois, here are a few shots of John's R4 resto-mod that won a gold award in MCACN's street modified class, out-classing many Novas, tri-five Chevies, Mustangs and Corvettes.
Finally, A Studebaker outclasses them all!
Congratulations go out to Brad Bez at Bez Auto Alchemy! Brad's work on this Avanti R4 Tribute is a winner! It is a major and a prestigous award from a nationallly-recognized show.

This 1963 Studebaker Avanti R4 custom resto-mod won the gold award at last weekend's Muscle Car and Corvette Nationls (MCACN) show in the judged Street Stock Modified Division.

MCACN rules for Street & Modified Judged Vehicles: "Vehicles are judged on a 1,000 point scale with no deductions for deviations from stock. Overall attention to cleanliness and detail inside and outside along with panel fit and finish is considered."

These are the high standards that Brad Bez strives for on each and every automobile taken in for restoration.

Hopefully this will help to elevate the Avanti status a few notches! Others have won awards at Concours of America, Amelia Island & from the AACA & top street rodder shows on the west coast. Major magazines were at the MCACN.....so watch for more positive reports.
IMG_2851.jpg
IMG_2850.jpg
CS6P8988.jpg
CS6P8945.jpg
CS6P8920.jpg
And one more of the two Bonneville Avantis, #9 and #8 next to one another!
CS6P9007.jpg

My gosh what gorgeous Studebakers!!!!!!.....Brad Bez's outstanding workmanship!...And the #8 & #9 Bonneville Avantis side-by-side!! Sure wish I was there for that show!!!

Thanks for posting the super-clear pics!!!!!!

Edited by mfg

After the #9 Bonneville car was acquired by John Hora, paint and body was refirbished by Granatelli, but everything else is pretty much as raced in 1963.

After Mr. Hora, whom I believe was President of the AOAI at the time, acquired "Bonneville 9" from the Granatellis, it amazes me he had the foresight to have them bring that car back to 'as raced' condition.

I'll bet almost any other purchaser of that Avanti would have had the exterior numbers removed, and simply made a 'hot' street car out of it.......and chances are it would have been wrecked...probably no longer even existing!

SUPER KUDOS to Mr. John Hora for his foresight and long term preservation of this especially significant Studebaker Avanti!!!

After Mr. Hora, whom I believe was President of the AOAI at the time, acquired "Bonneville 9" from the Granatellis, it amazes me he had the foresight to have them bring that car back to 'as raced' condition.

I'll bet almost any other purchaser of that Avanti would have had the exterior numbers removed, and simply made a 'hot' street car out of it.......and chances are it would have been wrecked...probably no longer even existing!

SUPER KUDOS to Mr. John Hora for his foresight and long term preservation of this especially significant Studebaker Avanti!!!

when John Hora bought the car, it was in Texas. He flew there (forgot which city) and drove the #9 car back to southern California!

when John Hora bought the car, it was in Texas. He flew there (forgot which city) and drove the #9 car back to southern California!

I would have paid 'good money' to take that trip back to southern California with him!!