Key dilemma!

63avantigold

I recently bought a 63 Avanti R-4312 and it came with one hey, the ignition key! The ignition key does not open the doors. I do have a copy of the "Passenger car production order-final assembly line" and do have the key numbers. Does anyone know of a locksmith that can grind a key from the Key number? Local locksmith didn't have the records to pull it off! I don't know if the ignition key should fit the door or maybe the ignition has been replaced and now doesn't fit the doors, All I know is I can't lock the car! New to the Avanti world so be gentle!

I went through the same thing once!....I 'bit the bullet" and removed one of the exterior door handle assemblies....I took it to a local locksmith, and he made up a couple keys to fit the lock cylinder.

If nothing else, it was also a good opportunity to lube everything up!

You may actually want to see if the ignition set is correct for your car and then consider re-keying either that one (a fairly easy job) or have the new set keyed to the doors. Quite often the ignition set was replaced because either the locking tabs on the bezel broke off or the ignition itself rotated or pushed far enough back in the mount, or both, to contact the hot connector with ground and melting something critical. I am dealing with both these issues with mine but the "melting something critical" hasn't happened, yet. Lots of interesting sparks, though...

The most common replacement used a screw on style mounting bezel.

Just be aware that the only light that comes on when you open a door is the one below the radio. The lights over the rear quarter windows only light when the switch is thrown on the lamp itself. You'll have to have a schematic to know what lights etc. are on a circuit so you can look for a short.

Also just remember that any mouse that may have taken up residence in your Stude just loved to eat the soy that was manufactured into the old wires. I had one in the shifter quadrant light that drove me crazy until I found it after blowing many 2 amp fuses...........Good hunting for shorts !! (or mouse)

I had an ignition key made by local locksmith for my 53 champion. Call around, hopefully you'll find someone local. There's also a fellow on the Studebaker forum that has some original keys, he might be able to help. He's active on the forum and should reply to your post within a few days.