Headlights

63avantigold

My 63 Avanti has square Headlamp covers which I would like to swap out for round.  Is the body under the headlamps the same under both round and square or was there a body modification going from round 63 to square 64.  Would be interested in swapping with someone if in fact they are interchangeable.  I am trying to get this R2 back to original.

Yes, the front fascia panel is different.  It's a major change to get back to round headlights.  JMHO, but it's worth the effort.  Even after all these years, I always wondered why they stayed with the less attractive version when Avanti II production began.

jack vines

• 1 month later...

I took the back seat out today and wallah! There were seat belts installed.  I thought I read that 63's only had belts in the front.  My car has square headlights and seatbelts and now I am curious.  The build sheet says it's a 63, VIN tag matches but I am starting to wonder if it was one of those late 63's that ended up with some 64 parts at the factory.  Any ideas out there?

Edited by 63avantigold
typo

I believe that rear seat belts were available on '63 Avantis....Also, '4312' is a bit early a serial number for your car to be a 'transition model'.

Chances are your car suffered damage to its 'nose' earlier in its life, and whoever fixed it, for one reason or another, decided to go with 'square lights'.

The 'square light' front nose panel has always been readily available, whereas for years the round headlight panels were NLA! (however, they're back now!)

Your best bet would be Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors in Wixom Michigan. You'll need to call him, but he'll know availability of the parts. My guess is it's not going to be cheap if you need to find all the associated parts. Dan can also talk to you about the fabrication aspects.

Depending on your budget, it might be easier to find a parts car.

Lastly, ask the same question on the SDC forum, I know a couple have been parted out recently over there.

And Studebaker International has the fiberglass front nose panel for '63's readily available, as well as the left & right round headlamp outer chrome rings, and left & right plastic outer headlight lenses & seals.

However, the front parking lamps/turn signals are also considerably different between '63 & '64!