new guy 75 rqb2212 in dallas

dogkiller

hey, guy's I guess I'm the "new guy" my names Daryl, just bought a 75 from a salvage auction site

not a wreck but a donation (fairly common this time of year) had to buy it by just looking at pix

covered with dust, sheepskin seat covers,83k miles,drivers door 1/2 way down, bad paint, note on window stating starter stuck last tags 1996

got it home, paperwork shows second owner purchased 1979, found a clip board with maintenance records showing recent (1984, 76k miles) engine/trans/front end rebuild

drivers door motor missing, radiator leaking

found that the starter was hot wired with a toggle switch (bad idea) but had it running good in a couple hours, replaced the window motor with f150 style and ordered the turner brake kit for the front & new cyl's for the back (yes I've had one of these before) got an alum radiator on e-bay $75. shipped

removed the seat covers (stanky) & found good looking seats underneath, removed the orig. carpet (shag & stanky) smells much better now..

sorry for the verbose 1st post but I had to vent..  also thanks for all the great info on this fourm..

yes I know this needs pix but I'm not very computer literate ( I'll try)

d.

I don't know why but I've always been drawn to "orphan" cars

my daily driver is a checker marathon (my third) and this is my 2nd avanti

I've been doing cars since the mid 70's old cars corvettes etc.

yes "dogkiller" it goes back to a terrible accident involving a great dog and a garage door

it's a albatross I have to bear   and it's the name everyone knows me by, sorry if it's offensive.

for the record, I LOVE dogs and respect all life, no I'm not vegan

On 1/4/2017 at 0:06 PM, dogkiller said:

hey, guy's I guess I'm the "new guy" my names Daryl, just bought a 75 from a salvage auction site

not a wreck but a donation (fairly common this time of year) had to buy it by just looking at pix

covered with dust, sheepskin seat covers,83k miles,drivers door 1/2 way down, bad paint, note on window stating starter stuck last tags 1996

got it home, paperwork shows second owner purchased 1979, found a clip board with maintenance records showing recent (1984, 76k miles) engine/trans/front end rebuild

drivers door motor missing, radiator leaking

found that the starter was hot wired with a toggle switch (bad idea) but had it running good in a couple hours, replaced the window motor with f150 style and ordered the turner brake kit for the front & new cyl's for the back (yes I've had one of these before) got an alum radiator on e-bay $75. shipped

removed the seat covers (stanky) & found good looking seats underneath, removed the orig. carpet (shag & stanky) smells much better now..

sorry for the verbose 1st post but I had to vent..  also thanks for all the great info on this fourm..

yes I know this needs pix but I'm not very computer literate ( I'll try)

d.

Hi there dogkiller,

So can you elaborate on this a bit?  I have a jammed driver door window and am looking at working on it here any day.  Has been jammed since before I bought my Avanti.

Regards,

Tom

I think I got the info from this site

it was fairly simple, mine had a 2 wire motor so the wiring was simple

to install the motor & trans I removed the orig, one bolt hole was a good fit (centers on the gear shaft) marked the area that needed cut out, the gear is narrower than the orig. cut out the metal, I used a milling machine, the post I read used a dremel, the bolt hole I used to locate went away with the cut so had to add/weld a strap to replace it

tapped the mounting holes 1/4-20 and bolted it in took a little fiddling for hole alignment.

I'll try to find the original post with pix dorman part #'s 742-250  742-251

d.

Edited by dogkiller
addition

ok, after trying to remember where I saw pix it's on bob johnstone's Studebaker site in the index way down under windows (great site)

in that install larger motors were used and it involved some door surgery, but shows adding the cut out bolt hole replacement, the door didn't need cut for the ford motors to fit

I zip tied the motor to the regulator before cutting anything and the #250 motor seemed to fit better on the drivers side also using 1/4-20 bolts I had to cut (thin) one bolt head for clearance  

if I think of anything else I'll add it here..

d.

Maybe cut yourself some slack and pick a name to honor your pet, or any other name? I know I don't even know you but it seems your name will be a downer to everyone here, even us cat lovers. Would you at least consider it, sir? Thanks.

sorry if I didn't reply soon enough, I'm not a touchy feely kind of guy and didn't want to offend anyone else while I thought of a proper reply.

I thought this site was about cars and avanti's not about labels or worry about peoples feelings 

as you said, you don't know me, but if you did you would see that even a terrible nickname has not affected my ability to love animals and it has given me openings to explain the importance of safety around animals, garage doors specifically.

if you want to block me that's ok but I hope I can add to and learn from the wealth of knowledge on this site without your input.

respectfully yours, d.

ps; "the more people I meet the more I like my dog"