electrical problem

jlportugal

Hi,

While fixing the electricity of my Avanti 1981, I discover that when I switch on the lights ( L/H beam) with the switch above the windscreen, the illumination of the indications in the central column ( windows, deicer, a lite) goes off. What is the problem?

Thank you for your answer

Jean Louis

The indicator lights should come on with the headlights, not go off.  It almost sounds like there is a wire on the wrong lug of the switch.  There is some information about the electrical circuits to be found on Bob Johnstone's web site.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/Diagrams/aec/aec.html

I would check the grounds on the indicator lamps.  Bad grounds are a common problem on fiberglass cars, and can cause weird things like lights that go off when they're turned on and/or coming on dimly when they're off and something else is turned on.

I'd pull the headlight master off/on switch from the overhead console and clean all four (?) connections.

Also, I think we'll probably see more and more of these headlight master switches failing, as they are really quite fragile, and were never designed to last this many years.

Pick up a spare if you can!....mfg

(DISCONNECT BATTERY BEFORE WORKING ON THAT MASTER SWITCH!!)

Edited by mfg