Rear Quarter Window Seal

avantibngrant

I am doing a little cad modeling for Valerie Hansen to get a new dies made to produce this seal. I asked on facebook and on the SDC Forum if I could borrow a window and frame to check my work. The Studebaker drawing is very difficult to read, but I have a sample seal she provided me with. A fellow is loaning me a window which will help and another fellow is loaning me the channel frame that bolts to the car and the seas sits in. Would someone have an original actual seal from Studebaker, preferable for the left side I could borrow?
I am doing this pro bono so we will all have access to seals. If you can help me we will all get access to better seals as the ones I got from SI in 2010 are way to hard and broke all my latches.
Regards
Neil

Capture.JPG

• 1 month later...

My friend offered to loan you an original seal.

I had sold it to him and he has not used it yet.

It is nice and plyable.

The seals for the 1963 and 1964 Avanti have different part numbers and I do not know which one he has.

Also remember that the seals that Bill Fennessey had made, look different from this one.

Possibly to fit both years.

Valery is Bill Fennessey's stepdaughter and she should be able to find the manufacturer of the seals he had made , in his files.

It maybe that he sold the dies to Ed Reynolds but I

wonder why Ed did not make a new run of these.

Ed , please comment!

Robert Kapteyn

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:47 PM, avantibngrant said:

I am doing a little cad modeling for Valerie Hansen to get a new dies made to produce this seal. I asked on facebook and on the SDC Forum if I could borrow a window and frame to check my work. The Studebaker drawing is very difficult to read, but I have a sample seal she provided me with. A fellow is loaning me a window which will help and another fellow is loaning me the channel frame that bolts to the car and the seas sits in. Would someone have an original actual seal from Studebaker, preferable for the left side I could borrow?
I am doing this pro bono so we will all have access to seals. If you can help me we will all get access to better seals as the ones I got from SI in 2010 are way to hard and broke all my latches.
Regards
Neil

Capture.JPG

I'll definitely be interested in a pair if you get them made.  I am within a couple of weeks of having my car painted.  I have a set of replacements I bought some years ago, but I may stick with the originals, as I think the repros are the SI-made ones, and I've heard elsewhere they were too hard, didn't seal properly, and could damage the latches.

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, Avanti83 said:

Have you contacted Dan Booth about the dies. I think he has a lot of the original ones. Might just be easier to work out use if they exist.

I have contacted him.  I am stripping my Avanti down to bare fiberglass right now and will be replacing some of the seals.  His current advice, as of July 2017: reuse your original rear quarter window seals, there are no good replacements on the market now, or in the immediate future.

avantibngrant............can you please bring us up to date on this project. Is your CAD work completed? Will Valerie, in fact, reproduce these seals............if you know?

Keep the channel frame I sent you, as long as you like, but I would like it back.

John