Avanti Parts!

mfg

In  assembling at the factory of a Studebaker Avanti, can anyone name a body part that would be installed on an Avanti's chassis long before the comparable part would be installed on a Lark or GT Hawk's chassis?

12 minutes ago, lschuc said:

rear spring shackle bushing in the frame.... since there is no access to remove or install the bushing once the body is in place. 

I don't know Lew,..I'd say those bushings were installed (along with the leaf springs and rear end assembly) while the frames were upside down on the chassis line,....and the timing for that install wouldn't have differed between any of the Stude passenger car body styles. (IMHO)

Any other thoughts here?

1 hour ago, 1963r2 said:

The steering box

Once again, I'd guess that the steering box (although the Avanti uses a 'rag' joint) would be installed on the chassis in about the same time slot as other Stude passenger cars

25 minutes ago, 64studeavanti said:

I would guess the radiator support. I don't believe it can be r&r without removing body - so it is likely it was installed early in the process. 

64 studeavanti 'NAILED' it!...The radiator core support was installed on the chassis WITH the Avanti's body.....While on Hawks & Larks, the main body was installed first, THEN the radiator core support was installed, as part of the 'doghouse' or 'nose' assembly!....WELL DONE!!

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2017 at 6:31 PM, 64Avanti said:

However the radiator support can be removed on an Avanti.

The radiator support indeed can be removed with the Avanti body mounted to the chassis and the engine in place,....but it's a struggle!!