Distributor

schuyler

I recently was going to put new contact points and a condenser in my 1963 Avanti R2. When I removed the cap I found my distributor had single points not the dual point set up. I am now puzzled as to what kind of distributor I have. Maybe not a Prescolite? I could only find 1 silver tag on the body of the distributor. It reads " 1BP 4108 10? Any ideas? Thanks?

That comes up to be a Prestolite unit from a '62 Studebaker V8.  Assuming your car has a genuine R engine then someone replaced the original Prestolite at sometimes in the past. The original dual point distributor had a reputation for its shaft bushings wearing quickly if not maintained properly...and probably not too many did.  If you get the proper points for it, the gap is  .014-.019" with a dwell of 27-31 degrees.

FWIW, Prestolite distributors, single or dual point, wear the advance weight bushings.  There are repair kits available, as millions of Mopars used the same basic distributor.

Another FWIW, I've rebuilt and converted several to Pertronix and even better, the Mopar solid state trigger.  If you ever decide to go there, I've got them on the shelf for $300.

jack vines