OIL FILTER??

steve remick

Hello fellow Avanti owners. What have you guys been using for a oil filter for a 1964 289 R1?

Right now I have a Purolator L30005 that came with the car.

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by steve remick

It's the same oil filter as most 1960's GM cars other than Chevrolet.  I used to own a '64 Pontiac that used the same oil filter.  I believe the Purolator number was PER 5 but after so many years the numbering system could have changed.

I just bought 2 NOS Studebaker / Packard oil filters when we attended the LAST get-together meet in York, PA.

I haven't figured out when & if I'm ever going to install one on old #5255 or not ....But - I got 'em just the same!!

avantifred, I would not install those NOS filters. Who knows what condition the filter media is in after all these years. You don't need to have your engine ruined by a failing filter plugging up oil passages with filter media that has come apart. Best to use them for garage art and use new filters in your engine.

JWL

Car Quest # 85049 and NAPA Gold #1049 are both made by WIX and are identical in all respects except for the label on the can.   It is getting harder to find the NAPA Gold filter.

Oil Filter NAPA Gold - 1049.jpg

Edited by wwundt
delete photo