Depressed Avanti!

mfg

Due to the normal factory assembly and clamping procedures, several unrestored Studebaker Avantis have a well defined and clearly visible 'depression' on their fiberglass body....Where is this body 'depression'?

1 minute ago, r1lark said:

The joints where large fiberglass pieces were joined?

Not exactly, as one 'views' the Avanti body, there's sometimes one particular area that looks 'not quite right'....This is usually 'worked out' of Avantis that have received a restoration.

• 2 weeks later...

Well.........on my '88 a foot long crease on the rocker panel just in front of the driver's side REAR wheel (been that way for years).

35 minutes ago, wdaly said:

Well.........on my '88 a foot long crease on the rocker panel just in front of the driver's side REAR wheel (been that way for years).

Hmmm!...That's interesting, but we're really referring to '63-'64 Studebaker Avantis here...MANY of them have/had this defect I speak of!

Where the front fenders bond to the cowl or firewall, and were the rear 1/4 panels bond to the inner wheel housing mainly in front of the rear wheels, Also the seams tend to shrink and show up at the rear above the tail lights, and also the seams between the trunk and rear window. Also the tops of the fenders, and the top of the 1/4 panel where it bonds to the roof skin Where would you like it to show after spending hard earned money on a restoration? Should we leave all the "Defects" in just so you can say it is as the factory made them? Things shrink nd change over 50 years. I say make them the best you can as if the company had no restraints in time or money in producing them. ALL factry produced cars are a compromise in this regard.

1 hour ago, brad said:

Where the front fenders bond to the cowl or firewall, and were the rear 1/4 panels bond to the inner wheel housing mainly in front of the rear wheels, Also the seams tend to shrink and show up at the rear above the tail lights, and also the seams between the trunk and rear window. Also the tops of the fenders, and the top of the 1/4 panel where it bonds to the roof skin Where would you like it to show after spending hard earned money on a restoration? Should we leave all the "Defects" in just so you can say it is as the factory made them? Things shrink nd change over 50 years. I say make them the best you can as if the company had no restraints in time or money in producing them. ALL factry produced cars are a compromise in this regard.

"Where the front fenders bond to the cowl"....CORRECT!!..... (And I agree with you, a car is only original ONCE!)