Avanti Box!

mfg

All Studebaker Avantis used the same steering box, with the only difference being a change in steering ratio between the P/S equipped & non P/S equipped models.....True?

10 hours ago, 1963r2 said:

True

And I believe that the quick steer manual version utilises the power steering ratio.

pb

Actually, the answer here is FALSE!....Does anyone out there know why?

The 16:1 ratio power steering box was also available special order with manual steering like 1963r2 says, but the part number was the same as the p/s box. The 'normal' manual steering box was a different p/n. Was there an updated p/n that was discussed in a Service Bulletin/Service Letter?

22 hours ago, r1lark said:

The 16:1 ratio power steering box was also available special order with manual steering like 1963r2 says, but the part number was the same as the p/s box. The 'normal' manual steering box was a different p/n. Was there an updated p/n that was discussed in a Service Bulletin/Service Letter?

Not that I know of,...and that really isn't the reason anyway!...HINT...Don't be concerned with different part numbers!

14 hours ago, 1963r2 said:

They would also have a different steering arm if you include that as part of the box.

pb

No, not including the arms in this!......WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE????????????????

9 minutes ago, r1lark said:

Did the material of the steering box itself change?

The material the steering box was made of did not change....but the steering box itself sure did!...OPINIONS?

No Avantis didn't ALL have the same steering box. I know this for a fact. Pre production prototypes, tried a Saginaw recirculating ball type, like Larks, but with a stub shaft, and rag joint. I have seen one with my own eyes, at a May swap meet in South Bend, and also one currently being restored in Washington state has one installed. 

1 hour ago, brad said:

No Avantis didn't ALL have the same steering box. I know this for a fact. Pre production prototypes, tried a Saginaw recirculating ball type, like Larks, but with a stub shaft, and rag joint. I have seen one with my own eyes, at a May swap meet in South Bend, and also one currently being restored in Washington state has one installed. 

EXACTLY CORRECT!!...(I guess smelling the coffee worked 'eh Brad?)