Inspired Avanti!

mfg

The inspiration for a new Studebaker sports car came from Sherwood Egbert. Egbert drew a rough sketch of what he thought this new car should look like on the back of a -----------?

OK, guess I was thinking of something else being drawn on a napkin. :lol::rolleyes:

I did take a look at Langworth's book, and in the first page of his chapter 9 "The Avanti Adventure" he indicates that he does not think Egbert drew up anything himself. And, that the story that Egbert sketched something up on an airplane trip was discounted by both Brooks Shield and Raymond Loewy.

So.......unless you are talking about Egbert drawing the sketch on the back of an airplane ;)........I have no idea.

1 minute ago, r1lark said:

OK, guess I was thinking of something else being drawn on a napkin. :lol::rolleyes:

I did take a look at Langworth's book, and in the first page of his chapter 9 "The Avanti Adventure" he indicates that he does not think Egbert drew up anything himself. And, that the story that Egbert sketched something up on an airplane trip was discounted by both Brooks Shield and Raymond Loewy.

So.......unless you are talking about Egbert drawing the sketch on the back of an airplane ;)........I have no idea.

Egbert indeed did draw a rough sketch!...A very small one, only a bit larger than a postage stamp, on the back of 'something'!...And no, it wasn't 'on the back' of an airplane!

12 hours ago, studegary said:

Since I believe that they were on an airplane, how about on a "barf" bag?

GOOD ONE GARY!....You made my day!!.....No, it wasn't that, however, he was on an airplane!

2 hours ago, studegary said:

Since Loewy was a smoker and the sketch was very small, how about a match book?

Who is this "Brooks Shield" that R1Lark speaks of?

Nope, it wasn't a match book!...(.I think he must mean Brooks Stevens Gary!!!)

19 hours ago, studegary said:

Who is this "Brooks Shield" that R1Lark speaks of?

:lol::P:rolleyes: I didn't even notice that!! :)  That's hilarious, guess some sort of spell check did that...........believe me I do know the difference between Brooks Stevens and Brooke Shields.  B)