Avanti Ping!

mfg

A Studebaker Avanti R1 engine with 'thin' metal head gaskets will 'detonate' (ping) more readily than an R1 engine equipped with the 'thicker' composite type head gaskets.....all else being equal......................True?

I believe you are looking for a better quench with the shim gasket. Of course, this assumes that the block has not been decked, the heads shaved etal. Better quench, in theory, should result in less detonation. On the other hand, i had quite a bit of pinging on my 64 with the thin gaskets and pump premium.  Everything else on the engine was stock including timing. After i changed to the thicker gaskets, the pinging went away. As the popular saying goes, your results may vary.

11 minutes ago, 64studeavanti said:

I believe you are looking for a better quench with the shim gasket. Of course, this assumes that the block has not been decked, the heads shaved etal. Better quench, in theory, should result in less detonation. On the other hand, i had quite a bit of pinging on my 64 with the thin gaskets and pump premium.  Everything else on the engine was stock including timing. After i changed to the thicker gaskets, the pinging went away. As the popular saying goes, your results may vary.

So,...you're saying FALSE?