1978 Avanti window motor

davette59

I have finally got my Avanti II completed, all it took was thousands of dollars.

i am in need of a driver's side power window motor to finish up. I have been told several different things. One person said a motor from a 50's thunderbird would fit and another said an American motors. None of the parts suppliers have one so I guess I need to find a good used one. Does anyone have one for sale or is there someone that can rebuild mine?

The motor (same motor is used on both doors) is Ford part number C1AB-14553-A, which was used on the original 55-57 T-Birds and a few other Ford cars (60's station wagon rear window). The last NOS one I saw for sale was in the $300 range on eBay.

I have a very old reference to a motor rebuilder: Bob Clayton in Georgia 770-271-9627. Motor repair service is likely around $150+ (not including shipping both ways).

There was a comprehensive article in the Avanti Magazine Fall/Winter 2011 Issue 156 about power windows; if you contact me offline, I could email a copy to you,

I was talking with Jon Myer @ Myer's Studebaker Parts about my power window I just got working last weekend. He may have a new, reproduced, motor for you.  I believe he said he has them in stock. They're about 200.00 or so.

Tom