upper radiator hose

arkus

i'm putting a new aftermarket '70 chev. nova aluminum radiator in my '63. the radiator has a conventional fill so am eliminating the stock surge tank. does anyone know of an upper hose that will go from a now regular studebaker thermostat housing to the radiator in one piece? i know 2-piece kits are available; not what i want. this is a first step in a longer range plan to "r-2" this car with air, when the surge tank has to be eliminated. perfectly open to ideas. thank you.

Two options.

Start by measuring and profiling the hose you need and go to the Gates website and look over the hoses they show. See if one is close. Remember that a larger hose can be reduced by using the adapters Gates also offers.

Secondly, take a piece of heavy wire and bend it to the shape necessary. Take that to your FLAPS and see if they will let you into the backroom to match it up. Remember here you only need to use the appropriate portion of a longer hose.

A last method is to join a couple of hoses and use the plastic clamps Gates also manufactures. They are a plastic ring that shrinks to clamp the hose and look pretty decent installed.

Bob

12 hours ago, arkus said:

i'm putting a new aftermarket '70 chev. nova aluminum radiator in my '63. the radiator has a conventional fill so am eliminating the stock surge tank. does anyone know of an upper hose that will go from a now regular studebaker thermostat housing to the radiator in one piece? i know 2-piece kits are available; not what i want. this is a first step in a longer range plan to "r-2" this car with air, when the surge tank has to be eliminated. perfectly open to ideas. thank you.

arkus..........P.M. sent to you.

for some reason, probably my doing, i couldn't reply to your pm. surge tank is not for sale, i may at some point want to go back stock.

I have 3 restored, repaired and repainted surge tanks. Having bought a few damaged tanks over the years, I had Dave Thibeault do a full repair, hammer out dents, properly solder after disassembly and repaint black. Price without shipping is $550.00. Yes expensive, but with original purchase, shipping to and back with the full repair from Thibeault, the margin is small.

Mark