Avanti R-4942B

mfg

5 hours ago, r1lark said:

Jon Myer used to own it?

By the way, what's the deal with the "B" on the end?

He may have, but in this case that's not what makes it 'special'!

When you see that a Studebaker Avanti's serial number has a 'B' suffix, it means it was first sold & registered in California.

1 hour ago, mfg said:

He may have, but in this case that's not what makes it 'special'!

When you see that a Studebaker Avanti's serial number has a 'B' suffix, it means it was first sold & registered in California.  

That B is what made me thing of Granatelli as the original owner (but just a guess - not based on any knowledge of mine). 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so you made me curious...  When did Studebaker start doing that?  I have the build sheet for my car (March 12, 1963) and it says it was sent to a town in California.  It does not have a "B" suffix.  Were the delivery destinations on the build sheets just sort of made up? Again, just curious...

I do not believe that Studebaker added these A and B suffixes to the Serial Number.  I believe that it was done by the state (California) in this case (not really "by" the state, but due to state requirements). 

I have R 4551 originally a California car. The serial number on the plate does have an 'A' stamped on it to match the title.  It is a different size and font and spaced quite a distance from the rest of the numbers

I assume that either California, the dealer, or a previous owner did this so the serial number would match the title.

On 5/10/2017 at 1:45 AM, StudeNorm said:

Ok, so you made me curious...  When did Studebaker start doing that?  I have the build sheet for my car (March 12, 1963) and it says it was sent to a town in California.  It does not have a "B" suffix.  Were the delivery destinations on the build sheets just sort of made up? Again, just curious...

I really don't know the answer to that Norm, I read years ago that's what the 'B' suffix was all about.....but perhaps someone from California can shed more light on this!