Door panel chrome trim

A83

Does anyone know who might carry the interior chrome / plastic trim for the front door panels that separates the top leather from the pleats? Dan Booth is going to check when he  gets back from South Bend for me but he is not sure he has any.

Thank you.

Kevin A83

They are very difficult to find...particularly in good condition.  If Dan Booth doesn't have any, give John Myer a call.  The last I was at his place he had about a half-dozen parts Avantis there, but I've no idea how cannibalized they were.

Every now and then a set pops up on eBay as well.

Kevin,

If you come up with a source for the door panel plastic/chrome trim strips would you post it on the forum.  I need one to replace the driver's door trim strip on my 83 (RQB 3699).

Ken

Edited by kboyd

If it ends up you can't find replacement trim or have it made at any reasonable cost, consider eliminating it all together and having a separation made by upholstery piping.  On my '70 I was unable to find the lower chrome trim that separates the vinyl from the carpeted bottom so the upholsterer made matching piping as a divider.  If you didn't know Avantis you would never know it wasn't intended to be that way.

After all...you're discussing an Avanti II...not a Stude version where there was some standardization.  Avanti II's eschewed standardization for custom touches and doing what the buyer wanted.  The only reason Avanti Motors even did things the way they did was due to buying Studebaker's inventory of Avanti (and truck) parts and they simply used them because they had them.  When they ran out of any part they would adapt in some other manner.  Nate Altman would change things to suit the buyer...how many pleats, pleats on the seats that extended up to the top of the seats and those similar to Studebakers...you name it.  I don't see where being a purist really even applies to post-Studebaker Avantis as there were so many custom changes on so much of production.

I agree with Gunslinger.  When I had my '63, I was always concerned with the originality of the car.  With my '78, I am much more comfortable with changing things to suit my preferences, which is in line with how the Avanti was marketed at that time. 

Thanks everyone I had a 1969 that I bought from the factory in 1973 but this is an 83 and whoever had it did some strange stuff so I   agree that originality is out the window if need be so I have no problem with new alternatives - thanks for the suggestions...

Kevin

Kevin, what color was your '69?  My '70 (built in Sept '69) didn't get sold until 1972.  Mr. Booth was telling me that it was common for Altman was famous for having cars built with odd colors for personal before being sold.  Mine is avocado green with lime green carpets.

Mike Sal

I am using door edge on my 83 door cards.  Need a picture of the "avocado and lime" car; right out of a 1970's kitchen appliance color palette.

Bill Hanlon

"As the later 60's approached, turquoise was replaced by avocado and a Harvest Gold shade. These became the new stars for the remainder of the 60's, the 70's and the early 80's. Bright Poppy Red made a short appearance in the 70's but as the decade closed New Naturals had become more popular. Harvest Wheat, Onyx Black, Coffee, Fresh Avocado and Almond were introduced with Almond and Harvest Gold definitely taking the lead. The 80's saw Coppertone and Avocado fade away."

Edited by Bill Hanlon

Mike Sal my  69 color was called Metallic Bronze if I remember correctly which was essentially a chocolate brown metallic - I was told when I was out there and toured the factory you could customize any color and interior unless Altman thought it was not appropriate - on the line was a taxi company owners taxi cab yellow car and a used one there was metallic silver with a navy blue suede interior and that was beautiful