'88 Door Striker

wdaly

I have read all the articles as listed in the 'Roster' concerning sagging doors.  My door is getting harder to close - the striker (GM) bolt has wear.  My hinges appear OK according to a Bodyshop guy I know..

I'm considering adjusting the striker bolt very slightly down, but I have never done this before.  I will pre-mark it's location, but I'm concerned about losing the backing plate if I loosen too much.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.  btw - interesting thing / when I removed the inside door panel the door closed way better!

Bill D

Loosen the bolt about a turn and you can move it up, down or in and out. After you have it in position tighten it. I don't think the bolt plate will fall in the door frame, but there is no reason to loosen the bolt that much.

Good luck,

Jim

Update:

OK - I needed moral support on this one and got it.  I loosened the striker with a T-50 Torx  exactly one turn and with the handle of the ratchet wrench tapped it down very slightly and the door is almost like new.  After I put the interior door panel back on I will determine if I may want to adjust the striker further out as well. Was wondering though - should the door latch slightly hit the top of the striker (as I have it), or totally clear it?

Thanks for the help!

The status of your Avanti door makes me wonder what the condition of your torque boxes ("hog troughs") and frame are.  Rust in these areas leads to sagging doors.  

It's worse than you think - I don't have 'Hog Troughs' but something WORSE.  A convoluted metal system designed to attach the body to the frame that was made to RUST!  I have pieces (chunks) falling off from time-to-time, and I'm missing at least one body mount (found the bolt lying on the garage floor one day years ago).  I'm talking about the '87-88 Monte Carlo frames.  

Bill D

3 hours ago, wdaly said:

It's worse than you think - I don't have 'Hog Troughs' but something WORSE.  A convoluted metal system designed to attach the body to the frame that was made to RUST!  I have pieces (chunks) falling off from time-to-time, and I'm missing at least one body mount (found the bolt lying on the garage floor one day years ago).  I'm talking about the '87-88 Monte Carlo frames.  

Bill D

I was afraid that that may be the case.  I didn't see what year your Avanti is in this thread/topic.  I can only suggest trying to make repairs to the rusted areas to prevent further failure. 

I purchased a 1987 Avanti new, but no longer have it.  From a dealer in NJ it came to me in NY, then a dealer in AZ and a new buyer in NV (I don't know if he still has it.).  If yours spent most/all of its life in WI, I can understand the rust issue.    

Bought it brand new from the sole WI Dealer - a Lincoln/Mercury dealer.  It is driven 24/7 except early on for one Winter and again one year off (2010-11) as I was replacing the heater core, windshield (which I broke trying to remove the dash to replace the core), and right 'A' pillar (which I discovered was totally rusted thru while replacing the windshield)!!!!!!!!!  Yeah..............  I have tried various treatments, but it is hopeless. We're talking body-OFF.  I know one of our members from New Zealand has done this //// but I can't afford it.

Bill D