New guy

Boojoe69

I am new to Avanti's. I just purchased a 69. Its in excellent shape and really needs nothing!  I have a question. The serial number is BRQA0269. A friend of mine told me it was the second one built in 69.  I think it was car number 69 out of the 92 built in 69 Who is correct? Thanks in advance for any reply's .

First...welcome!  

Are you sure of the serial number?  It should be RQA with no letter before the R.  Avanti II's started at RQA0001 in 1965 and went from there.  If all numbers were used with no gaps (which may well have occurred) your car is the 269th car assigned a serial number, but cars weren't built or completed in sequential order.

Even if your car was the second serial number assigned during the 1969 model year, it doesn't automatically follow it was the second one completed.  Special order cars for specific customers got priority...cars being built on spec for ready inventory could be delayed for a later assigned serial number that was ordered.

What it comes down to is there's really no way of knowing so enjoy the car for what is.  You can always order a copy of the build sheet from Nostalgic Motors and that tell when and how it was originally and for whom.

3 hours ago, Boojoe69 said:

I am new to Avanti's. I just purchased a 69. Its in excellent shape and really needs nothing!  I have a question. The serial number is BRQA0269. A friend of mine told me it was the second one built in 69.  I think it was car number 69 out of the 92 built in 69 Who is correct? Thanks in advance for any reply's .

I believe that the "B" was added by some state to get a minimum number of characters.

According to my records, RQA0269 would be the 12th S/N issued for 1969 out of a total of 56.  It is the 269th Avanti II S/N.  

We have the production order for our RQA-0271 and it shows a date to ship of 4-19-68 and clearly shows a "1968 Model" printed, not hand written on the order.  Its actual  date shipped shows 4-11-69.  I am assuming here, but it I think it might have been built early in '68 and held in inventory for a year and sold as a '69.  It is registered as a 1969.  I hope this helps.

Dean

1 hour ago, Deano said:

We have the production order for our RQA-0271 and it shows a date to ship of 4-19-68 and clearly shows a "1968 Model" printed, not hand written on the order.  Its actual  date shipped shows 4-11-69.  I am assuming here, but it I think it might have been built early in '68 and held in inventory for a year and sold as a '69.  It is registered as a 1969.  I hope this helps.

Dean

My list/records show that S/N as a 1969.

My first Avanti was a 1969 bought used from South Bend plant and Nate Altman in 1973 had a 350 / 300 corvette motor as I recall.

A83

Edited by A83
Spelling