Magnum 500 center caps

A83

I read an old post on replacing the center cap with an Avanti emblem - I think Gunslinger posted to buy the Magnum center caps and replace them with Avanti emblem.  Can you tell me how this is done? And is it a particular emblem of the red and blue studebaker S I see on several sites?

Thank you 

Kevin 

One option is to retain the Magnum center caps (straight or spinner type) and glue a 1-3/4" diameter Avanti logo into the center.  I did mine several years ago with medallions purchased from Studebaker International.  They had both black on silver and silver on black.  Their part numbers were 26-006 and 26-001.  I see the 26-006 is still listed on their  site, but not the 26-001.  Price is $2.00 ea.  I didn't trust the self-adhesive backing, and applied mine with clear silicone. 

DSCF7524.JPG

Around 2  1/2  years ago I replaced the spinner type centers with the conventional type Magnum centers without any logo.  Studebaker Intl was out of the larger Avanti plastic stick on logos so I had to get the smaller ones which are 1  1/16" dia. and in black with gold lettering.  I have not had any of them come off and they still look good.  The Magnum centers are attached with small bolts from the inside, so you have to remove them with the wheel off of the car.  The centers have to be removed for any work done as in getting new tires and balancing or fixing a flat.

Dean

On 7/22/2017 at 1:10 PM, A83 said:

Thank you very much they look great will try to order some now

Kevin

Well, I figured that I might order a set of spares, while I was thinking about it.  I ordered them on line, but got a call today telling me that they are no longer in stock.  So, time for plan B, whatever that might be.  Maybe we have a member who has the capability of making 1-3/4" Avanti logo decals.

If SI doesn't have them, try Myer's Studebaker or Nostalgic Motors.  More than one vendor carried them but if they're out of production inventories could well be depleted for all vendors.

You'll need to remove the old emblems and clean all of the residue from any old adhesive.  If necessary, new center caps are available from sources like Summit Racing and you can put the new emblems in them.

Thank you ordered the new caps and found some small black Avanti medallions at the Studebaker museum store but they are listed as Quarter size - have calls into Nostalgic and Meyers

Kevin

17 hours ago, A83 said:

So do you glue the  medallion over the existing magnum logo or take the logo out?

I glued mine right over the Magnum logo, no muss, no fuss.  I did, however, use clear silicone to glue them in.  They have held up fine for a number of years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2017 at 3:52 AM, A83 said:

They  all look great just hope I can find some - thanks 

On 7/26/2017 at 3:52 AM, A83 said:

They  all look great just hope I can find some - thanks 

If push comes to shove, you can always put in Magnum 500 stickers that are available on EBay.  I put these on three of my wheels since one was still well adhered.  I am under the impression that the early II's came with the Magnum 500 stickers which are a little more colorful than the Avanti stickers.

Thank you.  I called Meyers and they said they have a few left around twenty or so if anyone is interested.

I believe they are the black lettering with the light background in the first picture and cost $3.00 each.

Thank you all again.

Kevin A83

I put the spinners on - do you think they will loosen with time as the caps are bolted to the inside piece and pressured against the wheel but not actually locked in position on the wheel.

1 hour ago, A83 said:

I put the spinners on - do you think they will loosen with time as the caps are bolted to the inside piece and pressured against the wheel but not actually locked in position on the wheel.

I've had no problems at all with mine over 15,000 miles.