Any one know WILLIAM MENS

Lancer

I am in the process of purchasing (I hope) a 1982 Avanti II from a fellow that claims to have bought it from William Mens' daughter.  As the story goes Mens, who is deceased, was a member of AOAI.  Under the hood of the car the air cleaner says it is a 350; I thought all 1982s were 305s?  I am told that the daughter knows little about the car.  is there someone in this group that might have some history on the car -- I don't need to pry into Mens' personal life, just the personal life of his car.  It is a 1982 dark, dark blue (Blackberry) in color with a recently reupholstered red and white interior.   Any info would be appreciated -- Thanks!

1158467.jpg

I have no knowledge of the car but Google the RQB number and you may find information about the car on Bob Johnstone's or the Avanti Registry sites among others. You are correct about the 305's in all cars but the 350 is a direct bolt-in as are any other SBC engines. Could have been replaced or just a different air cleaner or sticker.

I'm sorry to report that whoever owed the car, they took terrible care of it and she failed inspection.  Due to a medical problem I cannot travel long distances to look at possible cars to buy; therefore, I must hire commercial inspections firms to take a look for me -- thank goodness for them.  That said, this is the forth Avanti II that supoosidly was in "great shape" that has failed at $400 per inspection -- If sellers could only be truthful!  Would anyone out there happen to know an honest person that wants to sell a good Avanti II?  It need not be a first place show stopper, just something like a really, really nice "daily driver" that I would not be ashamed to take to our small town (Prescott, AZ) impromptu car get to gathers.

I have a 1984 Touring optioned coupe for sale. It is mechanically about an 8, the interior a 9.5 And the body a 7.

The engine is a Jasper 350cid with tuned port  EFI and serpentine belt. 700R4 Transmission, and postraction. I've owned it since 1998.

Edited by Charlie Kile
Add E-Mail & Phone, charles.kile@att.net 417 887 3687 I'm asking $12,500 with lots of wiggle room

I'm asking $12,500 With a some  wiggle room. It is RQB 3921 a touring optioned Coupe, With Recaro leather seats ln new condition. A moon roof that works properly and doesn't leak in a car wash. The Hog Troughs and frame are solid. It has never been wrecked, However I did taxi an airplane into the left front fender. It was properly repaired. The original paint was Block sanded off and repainted in year 2000. The car is black and black. I can't seem to include photos on this web site however I will E-Mail any current photos you may want.

E-Mail, Charles.kile@att.net or call 417 887 3687.

Charlie RQB3921

• 1 year later...

Lancer,

I know this is an old post, so if you are still active on this forum I would like to pick your brain on this car.

I bought this car 8/29/18 RQB-3352, I know it has its problems. Brakes, sunroof, a/c, speedo. Believe it or not I drove it from Las Vegas to New Hampshire 2763 miles with only one problem the fan belt failing and using or dripping a quart of oil every 500 or so miles. The person I bought it from Mike didn’t seem to know much about Avanti’s, but the hog troughs and frame are solid so I pulled the trigger on it. 

I know he was asking 14,000 for it in Hemings Motor News, I paid a lot less than that due to the condition of the car. If you have or remember any details on the car it might make things a little simpler in my quest to make the car a safe driver.

I hope you found the car you were looking for and enjoying it.

Regards,