Ignition problem

A83

A friend of mine has a problem with his 1984 Avanti - he says when the car is hot sometimes it will not start and sometimes for  twenty minutes-  then it will start right up _ mechanic cannot find the problem - could it be the starter itself? Fyi if you see the Avanti weather vane in the latest Avanti magazine that is his 

Thanks A83

It could be several things but the classic answer is that he has a heat soaked starter.  Replacing the starter/solenoid assembly will usually solve the problem.

Other causes could be a loose or corroded connection with the starter cable or an old starter cable that has excessive resistance.  It could also be an oil leak dripping on the starter that gives it a heat soak-like reaction (don't ask how I know that).  

Actually...it's a bit surprising his mechanic hasn't figured all that out...this isn't uncommon in auto repairs.  

17 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

It could be several things but the classic answer is that he has a heat soaked starter.  Replacing the starter/solenoid assembly will usually solve the problem.

Other causes could be a loose or corroded connection with the starter cable or an old starter cable that has excessive resistance.  It could also be an oil leak dripping on the starter that gives it a heat soak-like reaction (don't ask how I know that).  

Actually...it's a bit surprising his mechanic hasn't figured all that out...this isn't uncommon in auto repairs.  

Totally agree with this. A faulty starter is probably the most common hot start problem with SBC's. Check the connections then try a starter. They are under $50, come with the solenoid and are returnable.  

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:06 PM, A83 said:

A friend of mine has a problem with his 1984 Avanti - he says when the car is hot sometimes it will not start and sometimes for  twenty minutes-  then it will start right up _ mechanic cannot find the problem - could it be the starter itself? Fyi if you see the Avanti weather vane in the latest Avanti magazine that is his 

Thanks A83

When you say that "it will not start", does it crank over and not fire up or does it not crank over or not fast enough?   If it cranks over, I first thought of a coil.  If it doesn't crank over when hot, I would start with the starter.  This assumes that all of the wiring is good/adequate size and has clean connections.