Sign in to follow this  
steve remick

Pertronix ignitor

I have the #1584 Pertronix ignitor on my 259 R1.  Has anyone had issues with their ignitor? Mine will occasionally backfire on acceleration. Everything else has checked out.  

Deano    0

Steve

FWIW, I have installed seven Pertronix Ignitors dating back to the early nineties.  Three in Ford V8s and four in Studebakers.  They have all been the original Ignitors, not the II or III versions.

The first one went into a 429 SCJ engine and I couldn't get it to run properly because it would surge slightly enough to be annoying, so I removed it and put in a Accel distributor instead.  Later on I installed that same unit in a 289 SBF and it ran fine.  Next I put one in a 351 C and it ran fine.  Then I put one in a 289 Stude (64 Cruiser) and it was fine.  Then another in a 289 Stude (61 Hawk) and it was fine.  The next one went into a 289 Stude (Champ PU) and it was NOT fine. I couldn't get it to run at all.  It would just pop occasionally, so I removed it and just put the points back in and it started right up and ran great.  The last one I installed was last year into the 327 SBC in our Avanti II and it's OK so far.  So that's my history with Pertronix.  I have been told that they are made in China now, but I can't verify it.

Dean

Thanks Deano for your input. Much appreciated.  The first set I had (Pertronix) was good for 6 years, then last year it crapped out on me. I got the second one last June.  It was fine until a month ago. I would get a occasional cough when driving. I'm going to look at the wires(spark plug) next.

Steve