Avanti R5643!

mfg

I "visited" that Avanti many times when Joe Erdelac (sp?) owned it in Cleveland.  I remember it as having 6K miles (I believe that it still does.).   That would have been mostly in the 1970s.  I first got to meet him and see the car because I pulled up to the dealership in my 1953 Commander Starliner.  I know that he ran an ad in the NY Times with a very high (for the time) price ($100K).  This was to establish a "value" before donating it to the Crawford Museum.  I do not remember if it was offered for sale after that ad.  I will guess 1982.      

22 hours ago, studegary said:

I "visited" that Avanti many times when Joe Erdelac (sp?) owned it in Cleveland.  I remember it as having 6K miles (I believe that it still does.).   That would have been mostly in the 1970s.  I first got to meet him and see the car because I pulled up to the dealership in my 1953 Commander Starliner.  I know that he ran an ad in the NY Times with a very high (for the time) price ($100K).  This was to establish a "value" before donating it to the Crawford Museum.  I do not remember if it was offered for sale after that ad.  I will guess 1982.      

1982 is not correct Gary.

On 9/12/2017 at 5:39 PM, r1lark said:

1975 - this is the one that is signed in the trunk by a Studebaker employee who indicated this was the last Studebaker Avanti built.

Yes and yes!......correct answer # 1!

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:39 PM, r1lark said:

1975 - this is the one that is signed in the trunk by a Studebaker employee who indicated this was the last Studebaker Avanti built.

That is early enough that that must be when he ran the $100K NYT ad.