Loewy Wheels!

mfg

I will say Borrani (sp?) because that is what Bob Bourke put on his '54 Starliner.  (I am not familiar with Loewy's '76 and do not plan to look it up.)

Edited by studegary
Corrected case for Bourke

1 hour ago, studegary said:

I will say Borrani (sp?) because that is what Bob bourke put on his '54 Starliner.  (I am not familiar with Loewy's '76 and do not plan to look it up.)

Good observation..but not Borranis.

When I worked on it a few years ago, and when the museum shipped it to me, it did in fact have magnum 500s on it.

10 hours ago, brad said:

When I worked on it a few years ago, and when the museum shipped it to me, it did in fact have magnum 500s on it.

Later in this Avanti's life it might of had many different style wheels

Edited by mfg

CORRECT ANSWER....NO custom wheels!.......When Loewy's '76 Avanti ll was delivered, it rode on standard steel wheels with Studebaker Avanti wheelcovers.

When it was photographed with Loewy beside it and the Concorde in the background, it had those same wheels.

When it was used in the Loewy documentary "Looking Back To The Future", it once again had the standard steel wheels and Avanti wheelcovers.

If a CORRECT restoration is ever done on Loewy's Avanti, the restorer would (hopefully) know enough to use those original wheels.

Edited by mfg

• 1 month later...

When Lowey died, and at the time of his last residence in Monaco, it did indeed have Magnum 500s on it. It wasn't changed between the time Viola drove it last, and when it was loaned to the Museum. The Museum certainly didn't change them, before I made it drivable again for the legal owner. David Hagerman, Lawrence Loweys husband. Here is a picture of it with Lawrence behind the wheel, as donated to the Museum (actually loaned for display). Note the Magnum 500s. And a pic of it as it arrived at my then shop for repairs.

Loewy-Avanti.jpg

0-Loewy-4.jpg

As far as "proper restoration" I would think something like this should be as the owner modified it to his tastes, not as built. Would you take the "V" off the nose of his first Avanti, because it wasn't built that way?

0-Loewy-2.jpg

Apparently, that picture of Raymond Loewy standing with his Avanti ll, (w/Studebaker wheels & wheelcovers), and the French Concorde  must have been 'FAKE NEWS'!!!

(I find it curious that people who advocate using basecoat/clearcoat urethane paint for their "authentic factory" Studebaker Avanti restorations would care one way or the other what kind of wheels were used on Raymond Loewy's Avanti!!)

I am using lacquer crap paint on an Avanti in my shop. It took over a month to get. I had to sign a disclaimer, and if I was a production shop it would be illegal to spray in a metropolitan area. 

I had to buy it premixed, as there is no way to tint it because there is no way to know what toners you may need to order. I did have to buy 4 different shades of nail polish to tint it with a few drops here, and a few drops there. Most cars that come to me have had many repairs over their lifetime. There is perhaps three places in the country you can still buy acrylic lacquer.

The picture you posted was before Loewy changed the wheels, so while it is correct in your eyes, it isn't how he had it later on. 

I helped write the book on authenticity. I have restored many , and have 8 awaiting and at least 4 more in que to be restored, so I hope I have learned a few facts over the years. 

As always thank you for your  input.....I'm sure others might value it.

You're welcome Brad!.....I'm happy I could assist you!

MFG Tip....'Customer Relations'.......................

If your customer understands that acrylic lacquer is the ONLY paint to use for a CORRECT and AUTHENTIC restoration of a Studebaker Avanti, (and apparently he does understand this), I'd highly recommend you refrain from calling it "lacquer crap paint"!!