Carpetbagger

davette59

My 78 Avanti had a cheap junk radio in it when I purchased it. Is there a good replacement radio that will fit? Doesn't need to look original but similar would be nice. Just don't want one of those new ones with flashing red and green lights and washes dishes. Just a simple radio that will fit and looks period correct.

2 hours ago, davette59 said:

My 78 Avanti had a cheap junk radio in it when I purchased it. Is there a good replacement radio that will fit? Doesn't need to look original but similar would be nice. Just don't want one of those new ones with flashing red and green lights and washes dishes. Just a simple radio that will fit and looks period correct.

It's become very difficult to find the dual knob types that will fit the opening you have. Four suggestions:

1) Go to Ebay or your local swap meet and find an old style dual knob NIB that will fit. 

2) Google Retrosound and you will find the folks that put newer guts in older cases that will fit.

3) Put a newer unit in your glovebox or under dash. They make generic mounting boxes that will mount the newer receivers in those locations

4) I changed the location of the radio in my 83 like the photo.

Bob

P1010544.JPG

Avoid Custom AutoSound products...they're not good quality.  They fit as the shafts are adjustable but have little or no built-in noise suppression and the sound quality isn't very good.

I can't answer your question directly, but I seem to remember that the old Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio used in Porsches and VW's during the 60's and early 70's can fit, but they are very expensive (if cosmetically nice and working). I just did a Google search and came across a company supplying less expensive new radios for old VW's, but they do not give the dimensions of their units... perhaps you could contact them for that information. http://www.classiccarstereos.com/1958-1967-vw-bug-radio-usa-230.html

And, of course, you would need to modify the face surround plate to fit the new radio.

Do you still have your original radio? Perhaps it could be repaired.

PS: update... came across these possibilities with another web search (specified vintage Porsche when searching the Crutchfield website):

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/All-Car-Stereos.html?tp=5684

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/All-Car-Stereos.html?tp=5684

these even have an extra-cost cable that allows the body of the radio to be located remotely from the faceplate/knobs/pushbuttons.

Edited by WayneC
update

After reading all the negative comments about CustomAutoSound, I ended up installing a RetroSound unit. It is very compact and adjustable. I went through the options for faceplate and knobs and have a unit that looks much better than the Blaupunkt unit it replaces. Mine is just the AM/FM unit, but it has Bluetooth and inputs for USB and RCA jacks. If you want a CD controller or Satellite radio, they have that, too. Sounds okay (not high power) without separate amplifier. The only drawback is they are a little pricey, but for me it is worth it to keep the dash attractive. here are some pix...

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG