Wrong Wheels - Need Info

Lancer

The garage mechanic where I took the Avanti for service tells me it has the wrong wheels – the bolt pattern is slightly off and when the wheels were tightened to the specified 90 lbs of torque they came lose during test driving.  They also had a difficult time removing the wheels because they were tightened down way beyond 90 lbs.   They are going to try to find some used GM wheels that will fit – the current wheels that are stamped as Ford wheels.

According to the build sheet she came with real wire wheels and not the wire hub caps that are on the car now.  Through the internet I was able to bring up old eBay ads and determine when the real wires came off and some “hot rod” type wheels were installed.  These “aftermarket” wheels subsequently started the tires eating away at the front fenders.  I assume that is when somebody put on the rims that I have now.  I would love to have the real wires back on the car; but I hear they can be troublesome so I will be content with the correct steel wheels and the fake wires.

All that said; who among you might know the 15 in. wheel specs for a 1983 Avanti (rim width and offset)?   

Your bolt pattern is a Ford pattern. 4.5" circle X 5 bolt. Any rim width from 7" down should work with zero off set or under 3.5" back spacing. I run 15" X 8" rims on my 83 with 3.75" back spacing on the front. The rear needs about a bit more offset to eliminate the boy racer look. 

If in doubt either Google "find wheel backspacing" or go to a decent tire shop and have them find what you need.

I kinda like the boy racer look (if by that you mean the rear wheels are a bit further out in the wheel well)

I agree with your advice about a good tire shop, hopefully with the equipment to measure the required offset(s) for fender and steering/frame clearance.

Edited by WayneC
Incorrect info

My build sheet says 04 Dec 1982 and the rims are stamped Ford.  As the problem is with the hub/spindle and bolt holes I will look for used rims that match my existing rim's offset and width and are also configured to properly fit the cars bolt and hub requirements  -- so let the chase begin!

The problem might be the wrong lug nuts.  While they're 1/2" right hand thread, I believe Ford rims use a lug nut with a different outer angle that fits the bolt hole.  If your car has the wrong lug nuts the rim will not torque properly which may account for them being torqued beyond specs trying to secure them.  Try a set of Ford spec lug nuts and see if that makes a difference.

The Garage tells me my wheels are 15x7, 5x4.5 with 5.0 Back space.  The only wheels they can find that are close to compatible to mne have back spcing of 4.0 (Police Special) or 4.25.  Boy am I confused;  I understand everything except for the back spacing or offset -- are the same?  I would think 5.o is a really big back space?  What does it do; set the tires closer or further away from the body? :huh:

A 7" wheel with a 5" backspacing only leaves 2" showing on the outside of the rim. That's more like a front wheel drive wheel.. About any 7" wheel with 3 to 3.5 in backspacing should fit as long as it has a 4.5 bolt circle. It sounds like your mechanic is turning this into rocket science. Any decent tire store can fix you up with the correct rims. 

I'm surprised a 5" backspacing rim will fit as a 4.5" backspace 17" Mustang rim won't fit my 83 nor 74.

Lancer...

backspace.jpg.8d62ae350224e042e95db2914249ebfd.jpg

You might also consider the life left in your tires. If you also need to replace those soon, you'll find the pickings slim in 15" performance tires today. I've run across that issue on my Jaguar.

Might be prudent to consider 16" or better yet, 17" rims & tires. If it's just normal street driving, then there are still decent 15" tires available.

Edited by WayneC
clarification

Thanks WayneC for the lesson -- if I understand correctly, looks like backspace and offset are just two different ways of skinning the cat.  Either way you end up with a hairless cat.  As for the tires they were new about two years ago, but have only about 1,500 miles on them.  The previous owner didn't drive the car much -- he was really lucky the wheels didn't come off while he was driving!

Lancer,

I have a set of 4 wheels /tires I am willing to part with. They are true wire wheels that came off my 85 Avanti. (I'm just not a wire wheel guy.) Tires look good, just an all season but are a few years old.  There is a ding in one rim from a previous owner curb check but never seemed to cause a problem. Let me know if you would like pics or are interested.

Hi gold63; I would love to have wires back on the Avanti as she originally came from the factory with wire wheeIs and I guess I am a wire wheel kind of a guy.  I have a whole lot of questions -- so here goes:  What are the specs on the wheels (rim size and width, bolt pattern, offset, and backspace) I think all that is stamped on the rim?   Also I'm pretty sure your 85 had a Chevy chassis so things may be quite different from mine.  Last two questions; what are you asking for them and where are you located?  I look forward to our response.

8 hours ago, Lancer said:

Hi gold63; I would love to have wires back on the Avanti as she originally came from the factory with wire wheeIs and I guess I am a wire wheel kind of a guy.  I have a whole lot of questions -- so here goes:  What are the specs on the wheels (rim size and width, bolt pattern, offset, and backspace) I think all that is stamped on the rim?   Also I'm pretty sure your 85 had a Chevy chassis so things may be quite different from mine.  Last two questions; what are you asking for them and where are you located?  I look forward to our response.

Not gold63, but want to correct something that you are "pretty sure" of.  An '85 still had a Studebaker frame/chassis (last year).  GM chassis were used from 1987 - 2004.

Lancer,

Checked the wheels and here is what I have :

1) All have a 4" backset and same 4.5 x5 bolt pattern.

2) 2 wheels (that were on the rear) have a 3/4" spacer  attached. It would push the wheel farther to the outside or it is because the rear axle is narrower. Honestly I never noticed . You can take the spacer off of course.

3) Studegary is correct as I still have the stude kingpin/ bellcrank front end. Makes me wonder about what type of rear end it is (GM or other) by the use of the spacer.

4) No markings or stamping on any  of the rims that I can find.

5) They are true wire wheels and they even have the Avanti center cap in them.

6) If you go to "Bob's Studebaker resource directory Avanti database" and look up my 1985 serial #4227 you can at least see the rims on the car. You can pm me at ddwetovick @hamilton.net with  a phone # and I can text you some pics of the wheels. With work I probably won't be able to do that until the weekend.

I am located in central Nebraska. I would probably remove the tires as they are still good enough for a trailer, spare, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

gold63,

I just sent you a Messenger note requesting your asking price for the wheels and any info you might have on shipping.  I am not sure I know the proper way to use the Messenger feature, but I think it keeps or conversation private?

• 1 month later...

RQB3263 81 AVANTI II ....I replaced the std steel wheels years ago with 07-09  i think..   16 inch ford Mustang pictured here...I think they look great...but required spacer/ pattern adapter adapters... not really a problem......1" in rear and 1 1/4 " in front ...easy...these wheels were about $40 each ....i bought 5........keep up the good work.....BILL5a58d8f17a875_IMG_3453(1).thumb.jpg.007514a4b17b204d39f836107b86a465.jpg