Rear Brake Drum Spacer

Lancer

While trying to establish the correct specs for rims we have discovered that a spacer has been added to the rear brake between the axle and the drum (about a quarter inch spacer in front of the axle and behind the brake drum).  Without the spacer being in place the threads on the bolts are not deep enough to properly secure the rim leaving it lose.  In addition, without the spacer the shoes also drags on the inside of the drum.   Has anyone run across this before -- could it possibly be SOP for Avanti, I hope not?  

1 hour ago, Lancer said:

While trying to establish the correct specs for rims we have discovered that a spacer has been added to the rear brake between the axle and the drum (about a quarter inch spacer in front of the axle and behind the brake drum).  Without the spacer being in place the threads on the bolts are not deep enough to properly secure the rim leaving it lose.  In addition, without the spacer the shoes also drags on the inside of the drum.   Has anyone run across this before -- could it possibly be SOP for Avanti, I hope not?  

That's one of the odd things Avanti ll owners sometimes discover with these cars......My '83 'everyday driver' Avanti has those spacers too........Definitely factory!

As time went on wider rims became more and more common.  Maybe spacers were used to give clearance between the rim/tire assembly with the inner fender well and frame rails.  Spacers were certainly a less expensive way of doing that rather than a frame and body redesign.

Another possibility could be the rear brakes being changed at some point...different shoes and drums could have made it necessary but I think the wider rims and tires is a more likely reason.