Two rare Avantis - Together after 54 years

lschuc

1964 Studebaker Avantis, production R3s, #1 & #9, first & last, alpha & omega, together for most likely the first time.   Randy Rapp's turquoise 1964 Avanti R3, R5089, the first of 9 production models, and the 9th and last Avanti R3 produced R5643 (and the very last Studebaker Avanti) from the Crawford Auto & Aviation collection, together for a magazine photo session after preservation work by Brad Bez of Bez Auto Alchemy.

IMG_4357.jpg

IMG_4371.jpg

IMG_4365.jpg

Just absolutely awesome pictures-damn,how I want an R3!!

44 minutes ago, mfg said:

WOW!!!.....There's SO MUCH history parked together there!.....Nice detail work by Brad.....Is the magazine article coming out soon?

Should be early next year.

it appears that the tire lettering on R5643 is white....This is unusual!....I was wondering if the black rubber was painted over white, or if these tires are special  Firestone promotional items?

1 hour ago, mfg said:

it appears that the tire lettering on R5643 is white....This is unusual!....I was wondering if the black rubber was painted over white, or if these tires are special  Firestone promotional items?

I noticed this also.  I do not remember this from when I used to "visit" the car in the 1970s.

Although they are Firestone 500s they are not original or the correct size. (7.10 x 15)   I don't know when they were put on. It has been shown to have these as long as any pics I can find of it.

not to pick apart the photo, but.............the pink and white flower/plant in each of the pictures is out of place and a distraction due to their location.

Still, a great photo and historical event.

Although it would certainly be considered correct in its current configuration, I'd bet that the turquoise '64 Avanti (R5089) was originally fitted with the clear parking lamp lenses that we see fitted to the white '64 Avanti (R5643)

Refer to 'Amber Avanti' in the Avanti Trivia section of this forum for more info.

1 hour ago, mfg said:

Although it would certainly be considered correct in its current configuration, I'd bet that the turquoise '64 Avanti (R5089) was originally fitted with the clear parking lamp lenses that we see fitted to the white '64 Avanti (R5643)

Refer to 'Amber Avanti' in the Avanti Trivia section of this forum for more info.

Correct... the turquoise Avanti has the wrong turn signal lenses now, but that will change later today.    New clear lenses were ordered and arrived this weekend.  They will be changed.

I was just on the SDC Forum viewing photos Brad took of these two Avantis.......i noticed that on the white (R5643) the ignition coil resistor is mounted outside the ignition shielding on a bracket....Were all nine factory R3 Avantis set up this way, or did someone make a change to this car later on?

That is how the Avantis with factory Prestolite TransIgnitor  (transistor) ignition  came from the factory. It is in the Pink sheets(service letters) for installation instructions  too. All of the R3s I worked on had them that way.

21 hours ago, brad said:

That is how the Avantis with factory Prestolite TransIgnitor  (transistor) ignition  came from the factory. It is in the Pink sheets(service letters) for installation instructions  too. All of the R3s I worked on had them that way.

Thanks for the explanation!.........Apparently R5642 (the second to last Studebaker Avanti, and also an R3), did not have that type of ignition system, as I'm looking at a fairly clear photo of its engine compartment and don't see that resistor.

3 hours ago, mfg said:

Thanks for the explanation!.........Apparently R5642 (the second to last Studebaker Avanti, and also an R3), did not have that type of ignition system, as I'm looking at a fairly clear photo of its engine compartment and don't see that resistor.

R5642 should have had the transignator ignition too... along with the ballast resistor mounted outside the ignition shielding.   If it's not in the picture, it must have been removed by a former owner.    At the time of this car's auction in February 2010, it has over 55,000 miles and who only knows what work was done over the years. It has a dual brake master cylinder, the radiator tank is black and not red, heater hoses are not original, supercharger is not the correct color of red (it's black & red in the picture) 

820709003_eGoE3-M-1.jpg

RM auction R3 Avanti side.jpg

I've had no experience with Transignitor ignition systems, however I've heard over the years that system didn't 'age' very well!.....Perhaps a prior owner of R5642 (Krem, Marty) had problems with the factory original R3 type ignition system, and replaced it with  conventional Studebaker Avanti ignition.

Probably. However in the photo, the wiring running along the drivers side inner fender from the front, is still in place.