Avanti Gray?

Ron Dame

Does anyone have any  images that show the real Avanti Gray on a car? Color chips are too small and googling it shows Avantis in everything from silver to dark gray to a bluish gray (which I understand may be right) None are good enough for me to get a good idea, and as a new AOAI member, the couple of issues I have, may have a photo, but the car is behind others. Thanks!

My 81 Avanti is "Diamond Blue Metalic"....not really blue but not gray either....I recently repainted it with Subaru 92 - 94  code 80... Light  Blue metallic/iridescent...full base...W9567 IF ....COST CODE C..we could not custom mix it closer to the original than this ......CALL MY CELL 386-466-6434  and i can text you pics....or look at the 2018 Avanti calendar  month of August.....it may be what your looking for .....keep up the good work ....BILL GREGG

IMG_8103.jpg

004 (2).JPG

There are  Gray shades, from Silver to Gunmetal and depending on how much $$$ you want to throw at it, you may experience the odd outcomes I've had.   First time was a respray in a '96 Lexus color "Moonstone Pearl".  This was a medium GunMetal, not that dark.  It looked great until it was parked it under a fluorescent light, then it looked green.

The second time (current paint job), the color from a 2014 Chrysler called Pewter Gray Pearl.   This was a slightly lighter than the previous color, but again, the surprise was a muddy gold under fluorescent light.   So,  beware of the pearl....

Ron,..You may want to contact AOAI member Jack Rodhouse  (Massachusetts)......Jack owns a pristine 1963 "Avanti Gray" Avanti, which never fails to score 395+ points at major AOAI/Studebaker events.

Jack may be able to assist you in obtaining the exact color.....Good luck!

1 hour ago, mfg said:

Ron,..You may want to contact AOAI member Jack Rodhouse  (Massachusetts)......Jack owns a pristine 1963 "Avanti Gray" Avanti, which never fails to score 395+ points at major AOAI/Studebaker events.

Jack may be able to assist you in obtaining the exact color.....Good luck!

The Rodhouse's Avanti came to my mind when this was first posted.  I didn't mention it because it is a repaint and I do not know how close it is to the factory gray.  I agree that their Avanti is one of the top Avantis in the world.  I have judged it and pre-judged it (examined it for potential points loss prior to judging) many times.

• 1 month later...

My 64 Avanti that I race at Bonneville is Avanti Grey.  You can see some pictures at www.avanti4davidjr.com.  I have in the past ordered some paint from one of the suppliers that will mix paint.  I will need to look up the info on that.  Indeed there is quite a bit of blue in the color.

P1000606.JPG

Glad I read this posting. I have a 73 I’m restoring and saw that Avanti put a sticker of the name of the paint color on the top of the tray in the glove compartment: Red Moondust Metallic. I think I like the color from what I can see in the door jabs. Although the car needs to be repainted, I’m thinking that I will try to buff the body out in various places to see if it’s the actual color that I see in the door jab. Otherwise, I may scrape off a chip of it in the door jab and take it to a painter to match. The best option would be to see if anyone in this forum knows that color code or has other ideas.

Thanks, Gene

7 hours ago, Ron Dame said:

Thanks everyone, I'm afraid Avanti Gray will clash with the orange interior, what do you all think? I'm leaning to something close: 2016 Mazda Solar Silver

I agree (about the gray and orange).  I suggest black, white or silver.

Black is tough to prep for and hard to keep clean, plus it would look like Halloween. White is boring. I'm not a big fan of silver, but think it is my best choice.

On 1/29/2018 at 4:18 AM, Ron Dame said:

Black is tough to prep for and hard to keep clean, plus it would look like Halloween. White is boring. I'm not a big fan of silver, but think it is my best choice.

Black is nice with the orange interior if you keep the original Fawn upper trim. Its not too much orange then. 

I wouldn't paint a Studebaker Avanti a non-original color. Every time I see one it just looks wrong, but just my opinion. 

I have a half quart of Studebaker factory pack paint in Avanti Gray. It was in the trunk of my car when I bought it in 2007. Its not dried up and I've been wanting to do a spray out to see for myself cause I have seen many versions that were not right. 

8 hours ago, Paul K. said:

Black is nice with the orange interior if you keep the original Fawn upper trim. Its not too much orange then. 

I wouldn't paint a Studebaker Avanti a non-original color. Every time I see one it just looks wrong, but just my opinion. 

I have a half quart of Studebaker factory pack paint in Avanti Gray. It was in the trunk of my car when I bought it in 2007. Its not dried up and I've been wanting to do a spray out to see for myself cause I have seen many versions that were not right. 

If you do, would you send me a sample card please?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2018 at 10:57 AM, mfg said:

#1112.......What an awesome photo of a Studebaker Avanti!.......This photo needs to be on a calendar...if it isn't already!!

It was a few years ago!