RQB3263 Steering conversion

wildfelr

Well The Florida Avanti Club Christmas party was a huge success.  Maureen and I wish to thank Lark and Steve James for making all the arrangements and inviting us into their home in Mt. Dora, Fl...It was wonderful.......So Saturday noon i blew a power steering hose in downtown Mt. Dora....This required a complete change of plan and we missed the second half of the ACOF party that evening.. bummer... We got the car back to Melrose  Fl. on a friends rollback trailer.  (End of chapter one)

I was planning to convert RQB3263 to rack and pinion steering in January anyway...and after looking at a hose change job it looks to me like I better just go ahead and make the conversion...

I would really like to hear from anyone that has made the conversion.....I know your out there, please call my cell 386-466-6434 i'd love to talk to you, get specs,  and see pics of your conversion,...

BEST HOLIDAY WISHES TO ALL and I look forward to hearing from you either in the forum or phone ....BILL GREGG RQB3263 Melrose, Fl

There is an active/current thread/topic on the SDC Forum about defective power steering hoses that fail.  If you had a reproduction ps hose on your Avanti, you might want to check out that thread.  

Also, anyone else using these repros may have a reason for concern.  

There has been some recent discussion of using an electric power steering unit, as would be found in most new cars.  It looks like this would be a reasonable alternative to the old hydraulic system, with fewer issues than installing a rack and pinion.

https://shiftsst.com/store/electric-power-steering/studebaker.html?mode=list

Bill

I'm not sure what you plan to use for R&P but there has been a lot of conversation on the SDC Forum about that conversion. Mostly it revolves around "bump Steer" because most R&P units have much shorter arms than the existing steering. One Member, Jerry Forrester, IIRC used a setup from an early 90's Cavalier IIRC again that mounts the steering arms in the center of the rack and not at the ends of the unit.

I'll bet he's the same poster that installed the electric steering referenced above by Jim78.

Just a note to help you as you move forward in the quest. Googling studebaker or Avanti R&P might help if you haven't already decided on your unit.

Bob

THANKS ALL....I visited the "fabricator" today he is busy  till mid January so I have plenty research time....Also Dodge Omni  R&P has been mentioned....so Im going to replace the failed loop hoses from the pump to the "control valve"....this promises to be a terrible job....and get back on the road...in a  week or two....your input is very much welcomed ....thanks ....bill

RQB3263 81 Avanti II,,,,I ordered the Quick steering arm kit from Myer's  today...Also new replacement power steering hoses.....taking out the old hoses is a really nasty job !! The new replacements will definitely go in easier than  removing the old ones....Parts may arrive as early as Friday....ittl be interesting.....BILL

RQB3263 81 AVANTI 11    My quick steer links (and ps hoses) should arrive today ...Im ready..FYI ....After reading Roger Penn's article in AOAI mag. (three times) i was hesitant and thought i had made a mistake on this one .....Well I got lucky (it doesnt happen often) ....no sledge hammer required on my RQB3263....but...I dragged out my now seldom used aircraft  4X rivet gun (basically an air hammer probably available from Harbor Freight) and with copious quantities of PB Blaster went to hammering.... Right one came out in 2 or 3 minutes......The left resisted for a half hour over two days  (cant let this stuff cut into my nap time) and with carefully applied heat from a common household propane torch it gave it up !!! I hope this helps those thinking about  making this mod ....Its not that big a deal ....Ill report back when all is complete (after my nap)...RQB3263 BILL GREGG p.s.  Check out AOAI 2018  August calendar....

RQB3263  81 AVANT11 I would still like to hear from any and all regarding conversion to rack & pinion ....im going to tackle this in early 2018.....386-466-6434 BILL ....thanks

Bill

You peaked my interest as I recall an earlier SDC article on using a early Cavalier R&P unit but your comment about the Omni unit made me look into that one.

This is a post from the Jalopy Journal HAMB that shows using an Intrepid R&P unit along with discussion on the others mentioned. It keeps the long steering arms that may help with steering geometry.

You'll need to pay attention to getting one that's rear steer.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/looking-for-a-short-steering-rack.975355/

FYI, Bob

Edited by Avanti83

RQB3263 AVANTI 11.....The "quick link" job is finished except for a toe-in check  and it went fairly well....I described the removal of the old links above ...I purchased a BALL JOINT SEPARATOR  from Harbor Freight for $22.00.....Item #99849....it worked perfectly....not a pickle fork......a very nice heavy duty tool not made in china !!!(Taiwan)...

Do the Quick Links work?....Well yes...they have too.....however....they bring the steering back to the normal that we are generally used too anyway....definitely an improvement but since its normal you will get used to it so quickly you probably  wont  notice the difference.....now 3 1/2 turns lock to lock....

Power Steering hose replacement done but really nasty  !!

I still looking for info on Rack&pinion conversions...i found more references to Dodge Omni  units ...later gator ....  

RQB3263 Avanti 11   well after some investigation ive perty much decided to shelve the R&P project...probably forever....no real good way to do it ....so far...some want to replace entire suspension and others require a complete new exhaust system....Im not up for either right now....so ill tighten up what ive got and live with it for now....thanks for your attention...happy holidays ....WILDFELR....BILL