Out of Gas!

murph the surf

Hi-wondering if anyone may have some thoughts that could help me solve my stalling issue-Driving my 63R1,the car will suddenly stall as if it's starving for gas.When I pull over,I can see that there is no gas showing in the fuel filter-the filter is completely empty of fuel. I have plenty of (non-ethanol) gas in the tank (and put 5 gallons more in,in the event of a faulty fuel guage) so I know there's plenty of gas. I replaced the fuel pump after this happened the first time,and this has happened twice since.The fuel lines under the hood to the pump,filter,and carb are new.I took the gas cap off,and there was no whooshing sound indicating a vaccum problem with a defective cap. Towed the car to a friend's to check it out and fix it after it stalled the second time ,and when he went to check out the problem,it started right up and ran fine .Have been using it for about a week with no problems, and it just stalled again today,and no fuel appears in the filter.Will run fine if I "feed" gas manually ,but stalls on it's own I tapped the carb at the needle/seat area.....Hopefully not a dirty tank,and looking to see if I'm missing any steps prior to tackling the tank.Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas how to remedy this?..Thank you!!!   

Edited by murph the surf

It's likely a dirty tank and debris has clogged the pickup.  After stopping and everything settles down the debris drops off the pickup tube and once you drive it repeats itself.  It's unfortunately not uncommon.

Edited by Gunslinger

The two things that come to mind for me, after what you have already done, are a very small air leak in the fuel line between the tank and the fuel pump or debris floating around in the tank that occasionally blocks the fuel flow.  

Thank you both!

Edited by murph the surf

That bottom dead center Avanti fuel tank outlet can cause real problems if the tank becomes contaminated.....Too bad Avanti fuel tanks weren't set up like the fuel tank in my Speedster, where the pickup tube passes through the top mounted fuel sending unit, and remains slightly above the bottom floor of the tank....that way, any debris inside tank remain on the bottom.

Thanks,mfg-I am going to start another topic,asking about gas tank removal,and perhaps what you're mentioning is my "snag"..If you or anyone has any ideas,it would be extremely appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still having this same problem after flushing out the fuel tank, replacing the electric fuel pump, installing two fuel filters (from tank to pump, then pump to carburetor), and rebuilding the carburetor twice.  Even with all of this, I'm noticing that the (clear) fuel filter going to the carburetor has no gas in it.

Next and hopefully last step is replacing the steel fuel lines.  I bought new 3/8" diameter steel fuel line and will work on this project in the near future.  By the way, in case you're not aware R1s have 3/8" diameter tubing from the tank to a 3-way brass T-joint under the driver's door (following the frame), where the diameter changes to 5/16" diameter.

Hi Stuart-almost sounds like there'e still "trash" or gummed up fuel in the fuel tank,even though you mentioned you flushed the tank.I notice you also posted about a non-working guage-perhaps a sticky float indicating gummy fuel still in system?

9 hours ago, Stuart Suede said:

By the way, in case you're not aware R1s have 3/8" diameter tubing from the tank to a 3-way brass T-joint under the driver's door (following the frame), where the diameter changes to 5/16" diameter.

That is not correct.

All Avantis have 3/8" steel lines from the tank to the tee and from the tee to the fuel pump.

The steel lines from the pump to the carb are 5/16".