Avanti Steering!

mfg

On Studebaker Avantis equipped with power steering, if the two hydraulic hoses which connect to the power steering ram are reversed, the steering will 'freeze' in the neutral, straight ahead position......True?

Ouch, no false. You don't want to do this. The steering wheel will whip back and forth wildly. If you service the steering and don't pay attention, I would recommend that you don not reach through the spokes of the steering wheel to the ignition switch when you start it!!!!

22 hours ago, brad said:

Ouch, no false. You don't want to do this. The steering wheel will whip back and forth wildly. If you service the steering and don't pay attention, I would recommend that you don not reach through the spokes of the steering wheel to the ignition switch when you start it!!!!

That would be a nightmare!!....False is CORRECT!

On 12/11/2017 at 2:27 PM, mfg said:

That would be a nightmare!!....False is CORRECT!

I can confirm, that wheel will wip violentlty!  When I first got my car running in '15, I was trying to catch up with all the leaks and power sterring was number 3.  I tackled that one simultaneously with all the cooling hoses and radiator recore.  Rebuilt the pump etc.  Fortunately I had put the pressure relief valve in backwards so initially, no pressure.  Then I figured that out.  Got back in the car and started it and initially the wheel was totally still...and then I started to try to bleed the system.  OMG!!!  Had I been reaching through the wheel while starting the car from outside, I might be still signing my checks left handed!