Factory Paint Code?

Stacey

My 1991 white convertible has some areas that need touch-up. Stopped at the local automotive paint dealer and besides that there is no paint codes listed anywhere in their books, he hunted and pulled out 10 different paint chip packs for white. Each pack must have 50 shades of white, all packs a bit different shades. So after more than a hour of comparing each chip (500) to the trunk lid in the daylight, not one was what we would say a match. He said we could try his paint camera to see if they could get close to a match but said it is only a 90% match, maybe?  Any one know what the factory used? where there may be color codes anywhere?  Thanks

I'd like to offer that the accuracy of a quality 'paint camera' is usually  'right on!....Generally speaking, three photos are taken of the same panel, (properly cleaned), and a formula is derived from a composite of those three photos

I believe you'll be quite happy with the resulting color mix!.....Give it a try!

On 12/20/2017 at 8:08 PM, Stacey said:

I will drive up and have them give it a shot, but figured if there was a way to know the actual paint code it would maybe make it as close a possible? 

Not necessarily...The paint on your Avanti (if original) is now about 27 years old and may have slightly changed in tone after all those years.

A paint formula derived from your Avanti 'today' (via paint camera) may actually turn out to be a closer match!....Good luck.

I went up yesterday and had the fellow use his magic camera to shoot 3 different places on the body. He went back and mixed up a pint so we could try it out on some test panels as soon as it warms up outside. The camera gave the same codes for all the spots so it might be close.  Will let everyone know once I get to play.

Well the paint shop fellow guessed he could be at about 95-96% close paint match with his camera. I accepted that and bought some to try and see how close it actually would be. It is really close, close enough that most people will not see the touch up spots. We are pretty happy and will have him mix up some more for a bumper paint that needs to be done.