Avanti Calipers!

mfg

The shims are used between the caliper and adapter bracket to center the caliper around the disc. So, I'm not quite sure which word you are looking for -- at first I though parallel, but they can be parallel but not centered. Equi-distant? I'm struggling here to come up with the word(s) you want. How about ".......properly centered around with the rotors." ???

Edited by r1lark
added word "to" between 'bracket' and 'caliper'

25 minutes ago, studegary said:

How about equidistant on both sides (from the rotor)? 

I think that R1Lark and I both know what is needed, but it is hard to put into words.  

Yeah, that was one of my 'suggestions' but I didn't like it too much. But, as you say, it sorta fits.

18 hours ago, silverstude said:

To insure the pistons and pads are parallel with the rotor...

Yes, PARALLEL is the word I was looking for....however, I understand that the shims also function to center the caliper over the disc.....There should have been TWO blanks in my original question...one blank for 'parallel' and the other for 'centered'!

1 hour ago, mfg said:

Yes, PARALLEL is the word I was looking for....however, I understand that the shims also function to center the caliper over the disc.....There should have been TWO blanks in my original question...one blank for 'parallel' and the other for 'centered'!

Hmmm..........the first reply had both. :)

Also, the Avanti shop manual is pretty much word for word the same as my first sentence......"The shims are used between the caliper and adapter bracket to center the caliper around the disc."

I will throw this out here -- that if the caliper is "centered" (equi-distant) around the disc (rotor), it also must then by definition be parallel to the disc. But the caliper can be parallel to the disc without being centered. So the really correct answer would be some form of "centered" as the Shop Manual says.