Sprung Avanti!

mfg

Although the spring rates and amount of leaves will vary, rear springs made for '58-'66 Studebaker passenger cars (including Avantis) will interchange for all those years......True?

13 hours ago, r1lark said:

False, the Y-body Taxi's had extra long springs in some years that would not "interchange" without additional work/parts.

Sorry, the answer here is TRUE!.....All Stude passenger car rear springs made for '58-'66 models will indeed interchange. (physically fit onto the frame)

This must be done in pairs, and on some springs the distance between the front spring eye and center bolt can vary up to 1/2".

So slip joint depth must be considered, and on models with radius rods, the brackets may require a re-work!:o

I will push back on you on this one Ed.

From the Shop Manuals, '62 thru '64 springs have the following dimensions:

All (including Avanti) except K and Taxi:  2-1/2" wide x 51" long; front end to center bolt 20-1/2" except F3 which is 20"

K Models: 2-1/2" wide x 54" long;  front end to center bolt 21"

Taxi '62 - '64:  2-1/2" wide x 58" long; front end to center bolt 22-1/2"

So, the Taxi springs which I noted in my first response are 7"  :o  longer than the 51" long Lark/Avanti-style spring, and take special rear shackles and hangers. The Hawk springs are 3" longer. I've never tried to install Hawk springs into a Lark or Avanti much less the super long Taxi springs, so please explain how springs 3 inches longer (Hawk) and 7 inches longer (Taxi) will interchange (bolt into) the Avanti and the non-Taxi Larks.

8 minutes ago, r1lark said:

I will push back on you on this one Ed.

From the Shop Manuals, '62 thru '64 springs have the following dimensions:

All (including Avanti) except K and Taxi:  2-1/2" wide x 51" long; front end to center bolt 20-1/2" except F3 which is 20"

K Models: 2-1/2" wide x 54" long;  front end to center bolt 21"

Taxi '62 - '64:  2-1/2" wide x 58" long; front end to center bolt 22-1/2"

So, the Taxi springs which I noted in my first response are 7"  :o  longer than the 51" long Lark/Avanti-style spring, and take special rear shackles and hangers. The Hawk springs are 3" longer. I've never tried to install Hawk springs into a Lark or Avanti much less the super long Taxi springs, so please explain how springs 3 inches longer (Hawk) and 7 inches longer (Taxi) will interchange (bolt into) the Avanti and the non-Taxi Larks.

Easy-Peasy Paul, ...through the use of the "special rear shackles & hangars".....the frames 'back there are all the same!