Unique Avantis!

mfg

No...  Not Chevy engines  :o 

I know....  I've been in both... but waiting to see who else might know.   (hint: pictures of both have been published in Avanti Magazine)

And for extra points, what performance modification was installed in Loewy's '63 R2 Avanti that he drove in southern California? 

1 hour ago, lschuc said:

No...  Not Chevy engines  :o 

I know....  I've been in both... but waiting to see who else might know.   (hint: pictures of both have been published in Avanti Magazine)

And for extra points, what performance modification was installed in Loewy's '63 R2 Avanti that he drove in southern California? 

We'll wait a bit on the original question......but I'd like to go for the x-tra points now!

Was it exhaust cutouts?

1 hour ago, mfg said:

We'll wait a bit on the original question......but I'd like to go for the x-tra points now!

Was it exhaust cutouts?

extra points for you!!   exhaust cutouts on his California car only.... cable to open and close the exhaust cut-outs  were on the console, behind the heater/vent controls on his '63 Avanti 63R-3422.  Pull the two handles in front of the automatic gear shifter and the noise quotient goes up!

give up yet on what was unique on 3422 and 4578 under the hood?

loewy cutouts.jpg

ANSWER....Loewy had a small toolbox installed under the hood of both his Studebaker Avantis....It was installed on the horizontal 'flat ' part of the upper firewall....In one of the toolboxes he carried an extra set of sparkplugs!

Finally, an answer!  I thought someone else would know this one! :)

First photo is R4578, still on the road in France.  Second photo is R3422, still on the road in southern California.

4578box.jpg

3422box.jpg

Two real nice photos of the R2 engines in Raymond Loewy's Studebaker Avantis!.........In the first photo, (R4578), it looks like the Paxton outlet is tilted more to the left than on typical R2 setups.....Is that just an optical illusion Lew?

9 minutes ago, mfg said:

Two real nice photos of the R2 engines in Raymond Loewy's Studebaker Avantis!.........In the first photo, (R4578), it looks like the Paxton outlet is tilted more to the left than on typical R2 setups.....Is that just an optical illusion Lew?

Probably just an illusion..... although whoever assembled it in France may have clocked the compressor halves a little off to one side.