Tire size

schuyler

Will 7:75 X 15 radial or bias belt tires on a stock rim fit on to a 1963 Avanti wheelwell without rubbing or when turning? I believe the 63 Avanti came with 6:70 X 15. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 6.5 inch x 15 1997 Ford Crown Victoria wheels on my Avanti because they look stock and I can put the OEM hubcaps on them, but they're better wheels to run radials on than the narrower, thinner gauge steel OEM wheels.  And I can tell you the 6.5 wheel is too wide to fit in the spare tire well.  I don't sweat it -- I just have an original  5x15 wheel in there (and 5 smaller, OEM lugs -- the holes are different sizes, and you have to use the larger Ford lug nuts with the Ford wheels).  It's no different really than a modern car with the smaller donut spare that way.  You wouldn't want to drive any great distance that way, but it will get you home, or to the nearest garage, as well as motivate you to get the proper wheel back on ASAP and not drive around on the spare.

Billy has literally hit the nail on the head. I've seen so much of this topic in this forum. I did what Billy did some 8 years ago now and his statements are on the money ! You're on safe , modern wheels. Only a spying eye could detect the slightly wider 215 x 15 radial tires. The spare.....Billy is SOOOO right !!  Do you think we can finally put this topic to bed?? 

15 hours ago, avantifred said:

Billy has literally hit the nail on the head. I've seen so much of this topic in this forum. I did what Billy did some 8 years ago now and his statements are on the money ! You're on safe , modern wheels. Only a spying eye could detect the slightly wider 215 x 15 radial tires. The spare.....Billy is SOOOO right !!  Do you think we can finally put this topic to bed?? 

Not necessarily.  

The subject can be searched for but the way the forum can sometimes ramble on and change course of discussion, the search becomes overwhelming.  

To quote Elwood P. Dowd from the movie "Harvey", "It ever so nice to be intelligent but much more intelligent to be nice.".  If we hope to promote the affection we have for these cars and hopefully infect a new generation, we need to always look for every opportunity to promote and welcome new members.

18 hours ago, avantifred said:

You mention "safe modern wheels", but a search will not show up that information because the topic/title is "Tire size".

2 hours ago, schuyler said:

Does anyone use Radial 15" tires on their Avanti? If so, what size fits? Thanks!

I put a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II tires, size P205/75R15 on the aforementioned Ford 15x6.5 1997 Crown Victoria wheels I bought (which I had painted to match the OEM 15x5 off-white Stude rims).  They are narrow white sidewall tires, like a lot of cars from this period came with, and look great on the car.  They don't have the "pie crust" shoulder of bias plies, of course, but I really couldn't care less about that -- though I like to maintain an outwardly stock appearance, my car is for driving, not show.  They are a good all-weather touring tire (S speed rating, which is well above how fast most of us are ever going to drive these cars), that get very good reviews for traction, braking, and longevity.  The car rides and handles a lot better with these tires.  And with the size I bought, they fit just fine with no rubbing.  I'm very happy with them.  You might look at those to start with.