New worst job

Ron Dame

As I keep plugging away at getting the R2 roadworthy, I found my newest most hated job: Lower radiator hose. Between the trans cooler lines at the lower end and the lack of access from the supercharger and brackets, plus idiotically located hose clamp screws (thanks PO) and sticking old hose, it was a 1 1/2 hour job, and my arms are bruised to hell. I'm tired as hell

That is a tough one!...If you had the time, it would have been a good opportunity to pull the blower for a good draining....or even split the cases to REALLY give it a good cleanout!

I've rodded out the block on a Lark and a Hawk. Sucks. I can see how an Avanti is worse.  I hope mine are fine, there is evidence that the plugs have been changed at least. I hope PS hoses hold (what makes it worse than any other Studie?)

The lower hose isn't any better on an R1 with A/C.  How is it that people cn get the hose clamps in some of those positions and so damned tight?!  Still, beats doing power steering hoses or rodding out the block.

Why are some hoses hard to remove?  Shop Manual states this (in reference to replacing heater hoses at the heater control valve: apparently they are glued on!

"Use special gasket shellac to install the hoses onto the control valve.  The shellac will make it easier to slip the hoses onto the fittings; when it hardens, the shellac will ensure a water-tight seal, strengthening the joint against leaks when the system is under pressure.  Never use soap, lubricant, or non-hardening sealer on the hose connections."