1980 frame replacement

DakotaBill

As stated, it is a Studebaker frame.  You will likely also need new torque boxes ("hog troughs").  These are not considered to be part of the frame.  By your Serial Number, your Avanti is a 1979 model.  It may have been first sold in 1980 and titled that way.  If you have to pay to have this work done, the cost will likely exceed the value of your Avanti.  If it is your labor, it will be up to you to decide.  I suggest putting the Avanti on eBay with disclosure of the problems and see what it will bring.  Recently, someone was about ready to give away an Avanti with a rusted out frame and got several thousands of dollars on eBay (with good pictures of the rust damage) (that was an Avanti with a Chevrolet frame, but the idea is the same, except that the cost to repair will be higher in your case). 

Studegary, I bow to you and your wisdom of all things Avanti.   You clearly are in the know!  Thanks.  In your opinion, could I substitute a non-Studebaker frame on this vehicle?  Other than the frame (and presumably the torque boxes) the car is in pretty reasonable shape.  Thanks, Bill

No, it would be more difficult and cost more to substitute a different frame into the car or have a frame made for the car.  The proper Studebaker frames are available with some amount of searching.  Bob on the SDC Forum is currently parting out an Avanti II of about the vintage of yours.  I do not know if the frame is still available.  I do not believe that he participates on this AOAI Forum.  Go to www.studebakerdriversclub.com and click on their Forum.  You may have to look down through recent Studebaker Related posts because I do not believe that it is under a title to be searchable.  Again, I would not go this route if you are paying for parts and LABOR.  

This is the link to the Studebaker swap page. There are a couple frames there. If they don't show up just search under Avanti Frame. 

http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/showads.php

Gary is right in that it's an expensive change if you hire it out.

Join the SDC site and ask there. Bob is candbstudebakers but he only has the rear section. Sals54 has/had a frame he's been trying to sell in California. Bob is also California.

Nostalgic Motors in Wixom Mi has the parts from the old Avanti mfg organization so Dan will have them but prices are higher there than the other sources mentioned.

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:09 PM, Avanti83 said:

This is the link to the Studebaker swap page. There are a couple frames there. If they don't show up just search under Avanti Frame. 

http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/showads.php

Gary is right in that it's an expensive change if you hire it out.

Join the SDC site and ask there. Bob is candbstudebakers but he only has the rear section. Sal54 has/had a frame he's been trying to sell in California. Bob is also California.

Nostalgic Motors in Wixom Mi has the parts from the old Avanti mfg organization so Dan will have them but prices are higher there than the other sources mentioned.

Bob

Not quite correct. As of today (Feb. 17) Bob at C & B  still has the entire center of a 1976 Avanti frame (X-member and side rails) for sale for $300 with free delivery to South Bend (or probably points between CA and SB). 

• 1 month later...

Has anyone priced a Art Morrison frame for an Avanti?  Morrison supposedly has brackets added for putting a modern suspension under the Avanti.  Just wondering!

41 minutes ago, plwindish said:

Has anyone priced a Art Morrison frame for an Avanti?  Morrison supposedly has brackets added for putting a modern suspension under the Avanti.  Just wondering!

A quick trip to their website would sugget about $18K for a normal complete chassis and $20K+ for independent rear suspension.

As if restoring an Avanti isn't expensive enough and guarantees being upside down in the car, why not tack on another 20 K to really set it off!

I note that the original poster has not returned since the day of his original post (which is also the day that he joined the Forum).  He may have not liked the responses, but they were honest.