weeping trans tailshaft case

StudeNorm

I have a weeping 4 speed tailshaft case. It looks like a pin has a slow leak but before I dive into the books and pull the case off can this just be sanded over and sealed with some silicone or epoxy? I wiped it down about 2 weeks ago and this is how much the drip has built up in this time. I know it is not much but it is really annoying when I park under it and find an oil drop on my car.  Thanks. 

BTW, you can read "TOM'S 4X4" stamped on the adaptor in the image on the left.

Avanti_weeping20180218_143229.jpg

Avanti_weeping20180218_143250.jpg

Give the silicone a try...it sure beats pulling everything apart!!

First spray the suspect areas down with carb or brake cleaner..(wear a mask!)...Then scuff those areas with a red scuff pad, or at least coarse steel wool to give the silicone some 'tooth'.

Then once again re-spray the areas with carb or brake cleaner and thoroughly wipe dry....If available, blast the areas with compressed air.

Purchase a tube of 3M # 08663 super silicone sealer (it comes in a caulking tube) and use liberally......Let sit overnight before driving car.....Good luck!

So a bit of sandpaper, a bit of Carb Medic and a smear of Permatex Ultra Black.  Looks good so far. I used this as this is what I have on hand. The book says "Apply sealer to the retaining pin and drive pin into place.". Maybe Tom's 4X4 forgot the sealer 33 years ago or the sealer just gave up after all this time...  Thanks for the reply.

Edited by StudeNorm