What are they thinking??

mfg

It's hard for me to believe that the SDC is discontinuing the use of the famous (and really nice looking) Studebaker 'Wheel' emblem , and going with a more 'modern' look emblem for their club.

Hopefully, the AOAI powers that be wont ever decide that the 'AVANTI' script has to be retired!   (I know that will never happen!:))

6 hours ago, mfg said:

It's hard for me to believe that the SDC is discontinuing the use of the famous (and really nice looking) Studebaker 'Wheel' emblem , and going with a more 'modern' look emblem for their club.

Hopefully, the AOAI powers that be wont ever decide that the 'AVANTI' script has to be retired!   (I know that will never happen!:))

If this is the Logo you are referring to, it is not new.

It replaced the Studebaker Wheel Logo in 2011.

Image result for studebaker drivers club logo

7 minutes ago, Regnalbob said:

If this is the Logo you are referring to, it is not new.

It replaced the Studebaker Wheel Logo in 2011.

Image result for studebaker drivers club logo

You'll understand if you read the "president's" message in the March '18 issue of TW....He has "officially" retired the wheel emblem....Foolish move. (in my opinion)

44 minutes ago, mfg said:

You'll understand if you read the "president's" message in the March '18 issue of TW....He has "officially" retired the wheel emblem....Foolish move. (in my opinion)

It  would have been nice if you had explained in your first post that you read this in the Presidents message for those of us who haven't received the March issue yet.

Edited by Regnalbob

Updating logos to more represent the times is an ongoing process in many areas of life. Many corporations and organizations continue to try to represent themselves as current rather than dabble in the past to appeal to a younger group.

I haven't read the article in Turning Wheels but my guess is the inclusion of a wheel that was discontinued in the 30's is not in line with appealing to a younger demographic. 

Like it or not, we old folks generally won't leave but looking more modern and current might be believed to appeal to a younger crowd. 

I miss Laugh-in and Twilight Zone but that ain't bringing them back.

Change for the sake of change?.....Change to make the products which Studebaker produced appear more modern?....Naaah!..I'm not buying into that one Bob!

The Coca-Cola Company is an example of what I mean....Years ago they decided to come out with a new, more modern logo..."Coke"...but to this day you'll find  our old friend "Coca-Cola" printed on their products.

I'm not saying that a new SDC club emblem shouldn't be used if desired, however, the traditional "Studebaker Wheel" emblem, which (to me anyway) represents so much of the Studebaker -South Bend history, should not be "retired", but be kept alive and visible somewhere in the Turning Wheels magazine....Is that too much to ask? :huh:

Edited by mfg

3 hours ago, Regnalbob said:

It  would have been nice if you had explained in your first post that you read this in the Presidents message for those of us who haven't received the March issue yet.

Don't fret Regnalbob!.....After this you'll be way ahead of me on breaking Studebaker news! This year, for the first time since 1968, I am not renewing my membership in the Studebaker Drivers Club.

I simply do not like the way the club is being run....its become too much like a business instead of the friendly , down to earth club it once was...and my decision on this was made BEFORE I learned of the president of SDC's decision to "retire" that grand old Studebaker Wheel emblem.

13 hours ago, mfg said:

Don't fret Regnalbob!.....After this you'll be way ahead of me on breaking Studebaker news! This year, for the first time since 1968, I am not renewing my membership in the Studebaker Drivers Club.

I simply do not like the way the club is being run....its become too much like a business instead of the friendly , down to earth club it once was...and my decision on this was made BEFORE I learned of the president of SDC's decision to "retire" that grand old Studebaker Wheel emblem.

Rather than quit, run for an office or a Director's position and work toward change (restoration of the Club).  I have also been a member of SDC since 1968.  I served as a Director for 18 years, and yes things were different then.  They put term limits on the Directors, but not on the President.    

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 12:56 PM, studegary said:

Rather than quit, run for an office or a Director's position and work toward change (restoration of the Club).  I have also been a member of SDC since 1968.  I served as a Director for 18 years, and yes things were different then.  They put term limits on the Directors, but not on the President.    

Term limits for ALL SDC administrative positions ......yes, that's definitely a good idea Gary!

• 5 weeks later...

Heading to work this morning, I glanced at the 15+ year old SDC 'Wheel' decal I attached to my Avanti's rear 1/4 window many years ago.....Like the car itself, that decal will also probably be a collectors item!! :o....:D