Avant i interior makeover

A83

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Paul K. said:

When you say "entire interior" do you mean every area that is carpeted or covered with leather or vinyl? 

Good question.

If you just want to redye it then you can probably get by for under $500. I did my 83 leather seats with a leather dye from Leatherque.com. But that was just the seats and I didn't change colors. If you need seat covers, they will need to be custom made.

Any vinyl will also need to be sprayed the new color but SEM and other companies make a good spray dye. I used spray dye in my 74. When I bought it, it had a smoke/mold/crud stained vinyl interior in a light brown and tan color. I removed the entire interior and cleaned the heck out of the door, interior panels and back seats. The front seats were in bad shape so I replaced them with a set from a Pontiac G6. All of the vinyl was replaced on the console with marine vinyl and a new carpet was installed.

I have a couple of years of work into the interior and am just finishing the door panels currently.

There's under $1000 here but i'll bet a complete replacement including replacement would set you back a minimum of $3000 at a minimum but it's probably closer to $5000 up.

Here's a video of the 74 last fall. Back seats and side panels are resprayed black. rear window panel and seat supports are black stretchable marine vinyl as are the console pieces. New carpet and G6 front seats. Dash is a modified 89 unit reupholstered locally.

Let me know if you need something more specific.

83 leather seats before and after redye. Carpets been replaced.

P1010252.JPG

P1010270.JPG

Edited by Avanti83

A lot depends on whether you're looking for a driver quality interior or show quality...there can be a huge difference in costs.  My rule of thumb was to have my car as good as I can reasonable afford to spend but not be afraid to drive it.

It will be a wide range, depending on what quality you want, leather (and what leather grade) or vinyl or cloth, everything (rugs, seats, dash, side panels, headliner, etc) or just the seats, professionally or you do the labor, etc, etc. $10k would not be out of line for a thorough quality professional job using leather.

Visit a few upholstery shops for estimates, or better yet, ask around at car shows when you see an interior you like and ask who did the work.

I had a complete Avanti interior done in leather back in 1987 (included all upholstered panels and headliner, but I'm not sure if carpeting was redone) and it cost me a bit over $3500... that's nearly $9000 in today's money, and it was a good price at the time, although in retrospect I could have chosen a more rugged leather.

http://cars.costhelper.com/car-upholstery-repair-cost.html

These pics were taken 20 years later (but not much mileage put on in those 20 years); the back seat is askew and paper on the floor because I was working on the fuel tank when these were taken. If I were to do it over, I think I'd find some big Mercedes Recaro buckets to replace the originals.

IMGP0043 resized 525x700.JPG

IMGP0044 resized 700x525.JPG

Edited by WayneC
Feb 8 2019 resized photos to get some space back