Glass Headlamp Covers

Stuart Suede

For those who are not aware, Studebaker International plans to make reproductions of the headlamp covers in GLASS - for both 1963 and 1964 & Later.  There's currently a pre-order price of $99.95/each, which I think is very reasonable since plastic lenses were $58.50/each.  In a recent eBay bid for used left and right 1963 lenses with chrome rims, that bid ended at $281.

I already ordered mine (1963 R1), and just wanted to let everyone know.  Part numbers for 1963 (up to serial # R4892) are 1350398 right, and 1350399 left.  The flyer I received from Studebaker International states that this pre-order price is good until March 30th.  The more orders they receive the sooner they'll reproduce them. 

I agree that the asking price for these is very reasonable.....Who would have thought that glass Avanti headlamp covers would EVER be re-made??

Still, after breaking two of the originals in the 'old days', and remembering how easily the glass cover become covered in 'road rash', I would not want glass covers on anything but a 'show' Avanti....Of course, nowadays most Avantis ARE 'show' Avantis!!

For any Avanti being driven on a regular basis, the plastic headlamp covers look great, and really are a bit more practical.

On 3/10/2018 at 3:36 PM, mfg said:

I agree that the asking price for these is very reasonable.....Who would have thought that glass Avanti headlamp covers would EVER be re-made??

Still, after breaking two of the originals in the 'old days', and remembering how easily the glass cover become covered in 'road rash', I would not want glass covers on anything but a 'show' Avanti....Of course, nowadays most Avantis ARE 'show' Avantis!!

For any Avanti being driven on a regular basis, the plastic headlamp covers look great, and really are a bit more practical.

That's odd.  I would think glass would be more resistant to scratching.  Certainly anyone who has has a plexiglass storm window will know it scratches up a lot easier than real glass, though it's much tougher and harder to break.  Anyone who wears eyeglasses knows that real glass lenses are heavier, but much more scratch-proof than polycarbonate.  Glass is hard and brittle, so it resists scratching very well, but breaks more easily.  Any kind of plastic is a bit more flexible, and therefore harder to break, but will scratch up far more readily.  This is why those polishing kits for modern, plastic headlight lenses are so common these days, and why they are needed -- the plastic outer lens, hazes over with a web of minute scratches over time -- something that was never a problem with the old glass-lens sealed beam lights of yesteryear.

(BTW, I run plastic lenses on my '63 Avanti, with the original glass covers stored away -- purely a matter of preserving the valuable, nigh-irreplaceable original while using the cheap, readily available substitute.)

3M makes a tough, transparent material referred to as an "invisible bra" for cars to help prevent such damage to the front end of cars.  There's no reason one can't get some cut for the glass headlights for an Avanti.  My '02 Avanti has the invisible bra...no pattern exists for an Avanti but one was custom cut for the car by a 3M rep who trains techs to do it.  

Here's a trick learned a long time ago..  In the mid 80's when personal computers were coming of age, there were a ton of ancillary pieces being produced.   One was a screen filter for 7" CRT's.  They fit inside the square headlight bezel perfectly..