Adding AC

Mistro

It's doable but takes gathering all the correct parts.  Unless you're determined to keep the car correct parts- and appearance-wise, you'd probably be better to install a Vintage Aire system that makes the heating and a/c an integrated system.  It won't look original but will be more efficient.  Just my opinion.

Thanks for the info. Not having AC is probably a deal killer but knowing there are options is a big help. My desire would be to keep as original as possible but safety or comfort issues trump the desire to keep original.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Vintage Air system and am almost finished with the installation.  It takes some doing, but it is possible to reverse engineer the existing Avanti console controls and the overhead switch to control the Vintage Air system without it showing.  There is an extra tab on the overhead switch which allows power to the A/C system.  The only disadvantage so far is that instead of three fan speeds the Avanti give you only two choices.

Interior a/c parts could be sourced from a retired Avanti 2. You would need to acquire or manufacture a compressor bracket to suit Stude motor.

Personally I would use a Sanden compressor rather than the York .

pb

Just a thought unless your desire is to keep the Avanti original would be to use the Vintage air unit. The original design used R12 which is difficult to come by and expensive. I know you can use R134 to replace it but that usually reduces the cooling capacity. 

The original Avanti insulation also wasn't the best so getting all the cooling one can would be my recommendation in your area.