When did square headlights begin?

Mistro

Just curious. My only book "Studebaker's Last Dance" until my 1963/1964 Studebaker Avanti Authenticity Manual arrives (and it shipped today)  says the square headlights were a 64  model change but I'm looking at a 64 R1 that has round ones. To my eye, I like the round ones better but I'm also considering a 64 with square ones, so I'm just curious.

Also in my limited search, both 64 have wood steering wheels and wood trim (vinyl) on the console, but I think I saw that on a 63 too. I'm sure the Manual will answer but just thought I post my question here. Thanks.

Square headlight frames officially started at R4892 but there are a small number of round-eye Avantis after that due to Studebaker keeping round headlight covers an option until the parts ran out.  There were also about eighty pre-R4892 Avantis officially registered as 1964 models due to date of manufacture...the square headlights were a running change, not an official 1964 change.

Those "real" 1964 round-eye cars did have wood grain dash inlays like later cars did.

There's also an undetermined number of unsold '63 Avantis that were titled by dealers as '64 models per Studebaker directive.  Such cars are not uncommon.

Edited by Gunslinger