Power window service R1 1963

Devildog

Hi all, have not been on for a while. My 75 is running great. I am helping a novice owner with R1. The circuit breakers on the power windows often go intermittent. I reviewed some old threads and saw a copy 17FEB64 service letter suggesting moving breaker from firewall to inside the cockpit to avoid high heat.

I looked in service manual but it has nothing on wiring of window circuit.

1.Is there a circuit drawing for R1 power windows?

2.I saw comments about adding an additional spring to lift window

3.any articles available about servicing these old windows

4.maybe an update using newer relays, etc. rather than designing from scratch?

Thanks for all your good help

Joe

Devildog,

I have a 1963 that had the exact same problem of intermittent power window operation. I found the bulletin from Avanti advising to move the circuit breaker. I moved the breaker to the interior of the car ( driver "kick panel" area ) and the problem went away. I guess the circuit breaker can't handle the engine bay heat.

Check out the pertinent topics on this link

http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtechdec2017p1g.html#PowerWindows

Your motors could probably use a fresh shot of grease in the gears, as well as the rollers on the regulator/ sliding parts.  They draw an awful lot of current and can cook themselves quickly if let to strain too often.

On 4/3/2018 at 5:27 PM, schuyler said:

Devildog,

I have a 1963 that had the exact same problem of intermittent power window operation. I found the bulletin from Avanti advising to move the circuit breaker. I moved the breaker to the interior of the car ( driver "kick panel" area ) and the problem went away. I guess the circuit breaker can't handle the engine bay heat.

As always great help on this forum. Thanks to both of you.

Joe 

Devildog.......I rewired my '63 windows and used relays . Made a panel to fit in the opening Mounted the relays to the panel along with a Terminal Block for all of the wiring connections. One caution, make sure the relays are mounted such that they do not interfere with the window going down. I can send you a photo or two if you would like.

I see you live in Houston. I lived there twice,late 70's and late 80's

John